IGNORED

Screen Protector for TFT Display?

Twisties

Well, to be honest, I had never thought of such a thing.  Didn't know they exist.  I was at NmS when Joe mentioned that I might want one.  Now I'm curious.  How many have damaged their display?  How many use a screen protector?  If you use one, how do you like it?  How often do you change it out?

John Ranalletta
6 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Well, to be honest, I had never thought of such a thing.  Didn't know they exist.  I was at NmS when Joe mentioned that I might want one.  Now I'm curious.  How many have damaged their display?  How many use a screen protector?  If you use one, how do you like it?  How often do you change it out?

Would a layer of clear vinyl car wrap or 3M Clear Bra work/  Likely, a window tint/car wrap installer could spare a piece.

• Like 1
dirtrider
3 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Would a layer of clear vinyl car wrap or 3M Clear Bra work/  Likely, a window tint/car wrap installer could spare a piece.

Morning John

I don't know but do know that to work properly it needs to allow the finger touch actions through as well a expand at about the same rate as the TFT display screen. 

Doing a lot of off-road riding a lot of us use GPS screen protectors to prevent screen scratches from dirt or mud on the GPS screen then using the touch features.  

I have used some (lets say lower quality) screen protectors that  can drive GPS function plain crazy when the hot sun expands the screen protector at a different rate than the screen under it (like 10 fingers touching the screen all at once). 

• Like 2

I use the BMW screen protector.  Not cheap, but I figured it can't hurt.  When I gas up and remove the tank bag, I usually tilt it up on the handlebars and wanted to be sure I didn't scratch the display.  The bonus is it has a non reflective coating so it cuts down on sun reflection.

This is what I got, but I'm sure there's cheaper ones out there.  https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bmw-tft-display-protective-film?sku_id=1755211

• Like 1
TheShat6392

The BMW screen protectors aren’t cheap, but they are excellent.  A big issue with screen protectors are the bubbles you can get.  The BMW versions will get rid of their own bubbles overnight after you install it.  It’s kinda weird actually, but pretty cool.  If you’re bad at putting screen protectors on like I am, these are great products.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheShat6392 said:

The BMW screen protectors aren’t cheap, but they are excellent.  A big issue with screen protectors are the bubbles you can get.  The BMW versions will get rid of their own bubbles overnight after you install it.  It’s kinda weird actually, but pretty cool.  If you’re bad at putting screen protectors on like I am, these are great products.  

I forgot about this part.  I had a couple of bubbles after installing that I couldn't rub or push out.  By the next day they were gone.

dirtrider
14 minutes ago, BrianT said:

I forgot about this part.  I had a couple of bubbles after installing that I couldn't rub or push out.  By the next day they were gone.

Afternoon Brian

I usually just put the unit in the hot sun  for a while with the sun hitting the protector, that usually expands the air bubbles so when it cools they are gone.

• Like 1