IGNORED

a little smoke on start up

Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto

after a 2 day break from riding, my 2013 emitted a little smoke on start up today.  Not a lot but enough to notice.  Does this sound like something to be concerned with?

I am going out on a limb here because I don't work on them, but oil tends to pool on the left side when leaned over, a little may be collecting and leaking thru the valve seals at start up. If it quickly dissipates, I personally would not worry too much about it, especially if no substantial oil loss is detectable between oil changes.

How many miles on the motor?

Try parking it on the center stand after a ride and see if it still happens.

Dirtrider may chime in with conflicting info, in which case disregard anything I wrote.

• Like 1
dirtrider
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I am going out on a limb here because I don't work on them, but oil tends to pool on the left side when leaned over, a little may be collecting and leaking thru the valve seals at start up. If it quickly dissipates, I personally would not worry too much about it, especially if no substantial oil loss is detectable between oil changes.

How many miles on the motor?

Try parking it on the center stand after a ride and see if it still happens.

Dirtrider may chime in with conflicting info, in which case disregard anything I wrote.

Afternoon Hosstage

Possibly right idea but wrong side. 

The usual way the oil gets into the L/H cylinder with motorcycle on the side stand is past the piston rings (especially if the ring gaps are lined up in a row on the bottom).

It can seep down a valve stem then past a leaking valve seal but on a boxer engine with horizontal valves, for the oil to run down a valve stem with the motorcycle on the side stand, it would have to be on the high side (right hand side). 

On the low side (left hand side) the oil would actually run away from the valve stem seals with motorcycle on side stand. 

Jharpphoto, if that oil smoke on startup is just a one time deal then nothing to worry about. If it happens every time or more often then it is something to look into. 

If you park your motorcycle on the side stand then you might try holding it upright for about 10 seconds after turning the key off (stopping engine) as that allows a lot of the oil remaining in the cylinders behind the pistons to drain out before it is leaned over on the side stand. 

• Like 2