IGNORED

Display info changing by itself

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

2013 R1200R with 4500 miles. 
been a great bike so far. Few issues dealing with age and previous storage.

here’s a fun one, probably expensive of course.

riding home tonight on the highway. I look down and the on the fly mileage was frozen. I’m like, there’s no way I’m getting 77mpg right now. Pushed the info button to change it, not changing. Push push push, nothing. Finally changed after a bit. When I hit the button it changes, but then it changes automatically! Then it’ll stay on one for a bit, then I’ll slow down and it’ll change, then it’ll just keep changing. 

pulled up to the gas station as the gas light was on. 
on and offed the bike a few times, filled it up.
The info is staying put, okay, just needed to power off and on, it’s fixed.

Get on the bike, info changes. 
sitting at the stop light, looking at the ambient temp info, put bike in gear, start moving, it changes. 

get home, unhook the battery for a few minutes, hook it back up, power on, it’s staying on remaining mileage…. Grab the bike, push it back and forth a few feet, it changes. Sometimes it’ll just keep changing like someone’s hitting the button. 

kinda weird, and seems to maybe somehow be linked to movement, or action, I don’t know. 

anyone ever have the info line act weird like this?

I wonder if it’s an issue with the button in the handgrip, or something else.. kinda doesn’t seem like handgrip because I noticed the on the fly mileage numbers freeze twice. It’ll stay on the temp for instance, riding, then when I slow down coming to a stop, it’ll change. 

super low mileage bike but still 10 years old. Lot of sitting and not running.

however I have had the bike for almost a month and put 1000 miles on it now. Been fine that whole time until now.

I did run out of gas my first week, info showed 28 miles left and it didn’t. So makes me think the sender is faulty. 

today I ran the tank down to the gas light coming on again, wanted to see what info it gives when low again, and if it runs out, how accurate is this potentially faulty sending unit?

this glitchy issue happened several miles after the light came on. Don’t know if the sender has any control or effect on the info line display..

Is the fuel gauge also showing varying levels?

image.png.ba3193e7aeda0f12898fc29328d77762.png

I think the 2013 R1200R sender is the same fuel strip that has caused problems on the ~2005-2010 RT, GS, and several other models. BMW switched those to a float sender in 2010.  

BMW did extend the warranty on the fuel strips to ten (12?) years, so you should contact a dealer.   A revised part (16141600132) came out in just the past year, which is supposed to be more reliable.

10 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

2013 R1200R with 4500 miles. 
been a great bike so far. Few issues dealing with age and previous storage.

here’s a fun one, probably expensive of course.

riding home tonight on the highway. I look down and the on the fly mileage was frozen. I’m like, there’s no way I’m getting 77mpg right now. Pushed the info button to change it, not changing. Push push push, nothing. Finally changed after a bit. When I hit the button it changes, but then it changes automatically! Then it’ll stay on one for a bit, then I’ll slow down and it’ll change, then it’ll just keep changing. 

pulled up to the gas station as the gas light was on. 
on and offed the bike a few times, filled it up.
The info is staying put, okay, just needed to power off and on, it’s fixed.

Get on the bike, info changes. 
sitting at the stop light, looking at the ambient temp info, put bike in gear, start moving, it changes. 

get home, unhook the battery for a few minutes, hook it back up, power on, it’s staying on remaining mileage…. Grab the bike, push it back and forth a few feet, it changes. Sometimes it’ll just keep changing like someone’s hitting the button. 

kinda weird, and seems to maybe somehow be linked to movement, or action, I don’t know. 

anyone ever have the info line act weird like this?

I wonder if it’s an issue with the button in the handgrip, or something else.. kinda doesn’t seem like handgrip because I noticed the on the fly mileage numbers freeze twice. It’ll stay on the temp for instance, riding, then when I slow down coming to a stop, it’ll change. 

super low mileage bike but still 10 years old. Lot of sitting and not running.

however I have had the bike for almost a month and put 1000 miles on it now. Been fine that whole time until now.

I did run out of gas my first week, info showed 28 miles left and it didn’t. So makes me think the sender is faulty. 

today I ran the tank down to the gas light coming on again, wanted to see what info it gives when low again, and if it runs out, how accurate is this potentially faulty sending unit?

this glitchy issue happened several miles after the light came on. Don’t know if the sender has any control or effect on the info line display..

Morning Hadabadachada

Your 2013 was back in the era of many/many handlebar switch pods failing, buttons sticking, random happenings without a button push, no start conditions, turn signals not working, etc, all traced back to the handlebar switch pods. 

BMW replaced a number of those switch pods under a campaign (not an actual recall) as they only replaced the ones that actually failed in service.  

Next time you are near a BMW dealer see if they will still honor that ( but I seriously doubt it).

Not 100% but your problem sure sounds like a failing switch.

Next time the problem happens & the button push/push/push doesn't help try dumping a bottle of very cold water on the non-responsive switch, if it starts working again then that tells you something right here. 

Hadabadachada

Good info, I must be suffering.

the fuel level doesn’t go wild. 
only thing I notice with the fuel is, after filling, about 20-30 miles it comes off of a full reading, never really goes back, seems early but maybe not. Then, when it left me on the shoulder showing 28 miles left. 
feels like the strip is at least partially working. Wanted to call dealer about that already.

It’s just that info bar, as if the button is getting pushed. Wonder if I can take it apart and try to do anything to it to fix.

everything has been working fine since I got the bike.

I did notice that it wasn’t happening this morning at all on a cool to warm bike, on the short ride to work.

last night the bike was hot when it was happening, 5 bars. 

We will keep an eye on it, or put a sticker over it if it keeps happening. 

well, I guess it’s still useful for a short stint till it starts changing, then just annoying 

I’ll see if the dealer is any help for any of it.

good info, thanks

1 hour ago, Hadabadachada said:

It’s just that info bar, as if the button is getting pushed. Wonder if I can take it apart and try to do anything to it to fix.

Afternoon Hadabadachada

Those switches are a foil type (basically sealed very low amp) so the usual switch contact cleaner sprays, or things like WD-40 can't get in to do anything.  You can take it apart far enough to get in there but there is not much you can do with it once you do get in as it is basically sealed. 

Hadabadachada

Good ol BMW

Maybe I’ll open an eye towards an eBay one. 
would hate for the ESA button to start acting a shit. Guess it wouldn’t surprise me.

10 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

Good ol BMW

Maybe I’ll open an eye towards an eBay one. 
would hate for the ESA button to start acting a shit. Guess it wouldn’t surprise me.

Afternoon Hadabadachada

That is one of few things I won't personally buy on E-Bay. There are a bunch of those removed defective switch pods floating around so unless you can confirm the part came off a functioning BMW motorcycle, & it is one of the updated  replacements, then you could end up with just about what you have now. Or worse, get one that the start button was malfunctioning. 

Hadabadachada

Hmmm, 

id have to assume bmw didn’t fix this, so it would be risky buying new old stock.

they went to the new style after this one.

as the famous moroney would say,

Farging cork suckers 

1 hour ago, Hadabadachada said:

Hmmm, 

id have to assume bmw didn’t fix this, so it would be risky buying new old stock.

they went to the new style after this one.

as the famous moroney would say,

Afternoon Hadabadachada

Most if not all the problem switch pods came on the OEM motorcycles from the factory. All the replacements were supposedly the updated ones once the problem was isolated & the new parts were supplied to dealers. In any case, that was so long ago that anything they had in stock would be long gone by now as that was sort of a big deal for a while so the BMW dealers would have purged their existing old stock of any pre-update parts.

Before ordering anything you just need the verify that the switch IS the problem, just keep in mind the switch is just a somewhat educated guess over the internet.

Now if the cold water on the switch assembly makes it work then you have a fairly good idea on where your problem lies.