IGNORED

How to Have Turn Signal Lights on All the Time

Shelterwoods

Shelterwoods

I have an R1250RS, and I would like to have the front turn signal lights on all the time, save of course for when their blinking. What is the easiest way to do this? Is a canbus gizmo required? Please let me know if your have any information that you'd like to share.

Thank you.

There is a company that made a unit for the K1600.  But for reasons unknown, they aren't interested in expanding that to the R series bikes.  Something different about the way BMW runs the R lights vs. the K1600.

I've thought about installing a Skene front unit that would give the flicker as well.  But it hasn't been a big priority for me.

A cheap thought I had was getting some cheap bendable LED strips.  You can get some with run/turn built into them.  Then stick them to the forks.  Or maybe bottoms of the RT mirrors.  On your RS, you could stick them to the fairing mask up front.  Probably can get these for around $20.

You could do it with an ezCAN device, but it would be complicated. You would have to use a relay to combine two inputs to each indicator. One from the bike when indicating and another from the ezCAN unit when you want them on together. Without looking at the current set of features of an ezCAN, not sure if you could vary the intensity of the indicators. The relay(s) could be controlled by the another output on the ezCAN conditioned by the indicator signal.

The current range of GS bikes, well, at least the Rally version sold in Australia, has that feature, but when the indicators are on together, the brightness/intensity is half to 75% of full brightness while indicating.

If you find yourself a willing auto electrician, they could do this kind of mod.

Cyclops Adventure Sports sells what they call the Evolution kit that does what you are looking for. I have this set up on my 1250RS. The system is amazing at how much light they put out from the front and rear turn signals, yet retains all normal functionality. I like the system so much that when I was wanting to add some Darlas to the bike, I would've stuck with the Evolution kit over the Darla's if I couldnt figure out to how to wire both systems in the bike. Fortunately I was able to figure it out an now run the Evolution and Clearwater Darlas on my 1250. 

The Evolutions are the best I've used and I've been a huge fan of Weiser Techniks for years. 

• Plus 1 1
Motorhead1977

I have a set of the Weiser Technik lights. Since I have the Darlas up front I only added the LED front turn signals and I'm installing the rear set that's running, stop and turn this weekend. The Weiser Technik lights are very bright 🔆. I think they're brighter than the stock LED front turn signals on my buddies '23 RS. A little pricey but well worth it IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
Shelterwoods

Motorhead, thank you for the information. I ordered a front driving light/turn signal kit yesterday from Weiser.

Del

Shelterwoods

Motorhead:

Installed the Weiser EXTREME EVO Dual Function Front Kit and am very happy with it. Also, before installing I called Weiser and received some very helpful advice. Great service and product; what more could you ask for?

Del

• Like 2

What do the Weiser's look like?  Everything on their site shows the pods like GS style.  I don't see any RT pictures.

Do they replace the factory turn signals?  A video in action would be great.

Shelterwoods

I have an R1250RS; the Weiser lights replaced the 10 watt bulbs in the original turn signal housings with printed circuit boards that have very bright orange and white LED's. Unless the lights are on, there is no outward difference. I opted to change over the front turn signals only. So far, I am satisfied that drives seem more aware of my presence. 

• Like 1