IGNORED

2004 R1150 RT oil filler tube o-ring replacement

James Gay

On 4/27/2023 at 7:48 PM, James Gay said:

Having trouble getting the inner plastic piece with the new o-ring seated back in place.

Morning James

I usually use a little motor oil or sometimes assembly lube. Some of them can be a bit difficult  to push or tap in.

If you use anything containing silicone, like silicone grease or spray  just make darn sure that it is o2 safe as silicone in an engine can ruin your o2 sensor. 

Also remember, the easier it goes in the easier it can pop out on it's own as the BMW boxer engines have fairly high internal pressure swings due to the Boxer piston travel  design

BABABeemer
On 4/27/2023 at 8:28 PM, James Gay said:

What is the RTV part? Silicone grease? Silicone spray? Sorry to be such a dummy.

Good morning James,

The RTV Silicon I mentioned is a Room Temperature Vulcanizing adhesive that helps gaskets seal. It takes about a half hour to set up properly. The reason I don’t use oil on the o ring is because it can pop out as crankcase pressure builds and give you a shower of hot oil! Not fun!

It comes in tubes of black, red, and blue and one color is oxygen sensor safe, but I don’t remember which one since I don’t use the oxygen sensor.