IGNORED

Is the Wonderwheel (A.K.A. "Multi-controller" in BMW parlance) good for anything? ('11 RT)

pwillikers

I have a fancy android cellphone with the CopilotGPS app installed for mapping (including a bunch of other apps for music and such) and a Sena SRL-Mesh headset in my helmet.  This combination has largely rendered the BMW radio superfluous. I realize the Wonderwheel controls many of the radio functions.  On an '11 RT, does the wonderwheel have any function beyond radio control?  Have any of the CANBUS hacks successfully repurposed it?

pwillikers

I believe I've discovered an important new function for the underutilized OEM radio for which it is grossly overqualified.  I've wired the headphone-out of my radar detector to the aux-in of the radio.  The volume on the radio is set high enough as to overpower ambient noise.  Radar detector alerts blast through the stereo speakers with sufficient volume to alert my buddies who may be riding in relative proximity.  They seem to be thankful but I suspect they're just being polite.  Service to the community I say!