IGNORED

Won't Start

MoteroNC

My 09 r1200rt will not start. Appreciate any trouble shooting tips with the following basic background.

1.  Motorcycle has been running fine. Typically commute 3 to 4 times a week short distance.

2. Run fine on Monday.

3. Would not start on Tuesday morning. Did run smart charger all night to make sure battery was ok.

4. Will not start on Wednesday. Lights come on. On neutral. Tried both clutch lever in and out. Tried with stand deployed and stowed. I can hear the starter trying to turn (same noise as when it started fine).

Note: Last week I smell some burning from the bike but then it went away. I thought it may be the clutch but it has been shifting ok and no more smell

Appreciate any advise. 

21 minutes ago, MoteroNC said:

My 09 r1200rt will not start. Appreciate any trouble shooting tips with the following basic background.

1.  Motorcycle has been running fine. Typically commute 3 to 4 times a week short distance.

2. Run fine on Monday.

3. Would not start on Tuesday morning. Did run smart charger all night to make sure battery was ok.

4. Will not start on Wednesday. Lights come on. On neutral. Tried both clutch lever in and out. Tried with stand deployed and stowed. I can hear the starter trying to turn (same noise as when it started fine).

Note: Last week I smell some burning from the bike but then it went away. I thought it may be the clutch but it has been shifting ok and no more smell

Appreciate any advise. 

Morning MoteroNC

Is the starter actually turning the crankshaft or is the starter just going click with no  actual engine turning?

If the crankshaft is turning then when was the last time you filled the tank with gasoline? If just filled then possibly some water in the gasoline. 

Farther that it will need more information & testing, or a GS-911 on that motorcycle. 

Things like the FPC, or ??come to mind. 

I can hear try to turn like it normally would but there is no firing. Yes I am suspect of the gasoline. I normally go to Costco as I like their 93 but last tank I had to go to another brand which had label "may have up to 10% ethanol". it has already run 50 miles on that gas though and I did add some Lucas Fuel injector cleaner.

1 hour ago, MoteroNC said:

I can hear try to turn like it normally would but there is no firing. Yes I am suspect of the gasoline. I normally go to Costco as I like their 93 but last tank I had to go to another brand which had label "may have up to 10% ethanol". it has already run 50 miles on that gas though and I did add some Lucas Fuel injector cleaner.

Morning MoteroNC

The thing is, when you get some (not a great amount) of water in the gasoline fill-up you can usually keep riding on that as it is mixed in with the fuel so kind of runs through & burns normally.

Then when it sits overnight the water & gasoline separate with the water dropping to the bottom of the fuel tank so next morning the fuel pump sucks in a much higher water content.

You might remove a lower spark plug (or even an upper if getting to a lower is too difficult) then look to see if the spark plug electrodes are wet.  

1 hour ago, MoteroNC said:

Ok I will do some spark investigation. If I find any water is there some recommended remedies? Thank you

Afternoon  MoteroNC

Because of the deep tank wings it is difficult to get the water out without removing the tank & draining it.  

You can sneak a small dimeter  hose down into both sides inside the tank & get (siphon or pump) a lot out but probably not all of it.  

If you can get enough gas/water out that it will start  & stay running then you can ride the remainder out with a few tank fill-up's.

I would pull the tank and get the water out if that is it.  There is a product, not sure if it is harmful to our motorcycles or not, called IsoHeet that will help with water in fuel. I would do research before using it as you don't want a new problem created by a harmful chemical.  My guess is it's mostly alcohol.  It's available at most auto supplies and even wally world.  There is one for aviation, but it is quite expensive.  It is sold by the gallon and cost close to $200.

ISO-Heet Water Remover & Fuel Line Antifreeze | Gold Eagle Co

Thank you. I am going to check the condition of the plugs. I am also going to try the relearn procedure as that is pretty straight forward and eliminate one more thing.

19 minutes ago, MoteroNC said:

Thank you. I am going to check the condition of the plugs. I am also going to try the relearn procedure as that is pretty straight forward and eliminate one more thing.

Afternoon  MoteroNC

The TPS relearn right or wrong won't prevent it from starting. 

If you suspect water, siphon the fuel out, put known good gas in, shake the tank to mix, ride till empty refill and be happy.

22 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Things like the FPC, or ??come to mind. 

Though, I'm not thinking water, but is that FPC that thingy on top of the fuel pump?  I had to swap a thingy on top of my fuel pump once, don't recall what it was called, but bike wouldn't start until that thingy was swapped......and it's an easy thing to do.

9 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

If you suspect water, siphon the fuel out, put known good gas in, shake the tank to mix, ride till empty refill and be happy.

Though, I'm not thinking water, but is that FPC that thingy on top of the fuel pump?  I had to swap a thingy on top of my fuel pump once, don't recall what it was called, but bike wouldn't start until that thingy was swapped......and it's an easy thing to do.

Morning  Rougarou

That is probably where we will eventually need to go if he doesn't find any water on the spark plugs but at $180.00 an FPC failure  is something that needs to be closely verified before randomly replacing it. 

5 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Rougarou

That is probably where we will eventually need to go if he doesn't find any water on the spark plugs but at $180.00 an FPC failure  is something that needs to be closely verified before randomly replacing it. 

Isn't there a bypass on that thing.  Vaguely recall that there could be a temp work around on it but might be mistaken that for another part.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Isn't there a bypass on that thing.  Vaguely recall that there could be a temp work around on it but might be mistaken that for another part.

Morning  Rougarou

Yes, there are a couple of different jumper configurations, one gets it's 12v from the accessory plug port but that isn't always reliable as some fuel pumps can draw slightly more than the 10 amp accessory circuit can supply. 

The best is a fused battery direct 15 amp jumper directly from the battery posts. 

We need to wait to see what he finds on the spark plugs, if those are wet then we know the fuel pump is working. 

• Smile 1
  • 1 month later...

well I ended up having to take it to the dealer. They replaced both the fuel pump and the electronic fuel control unit and all is good at this time. Question is:

I did about a year and a half ago put in some resistors to simulate fuel tank full as I was tired of replacing strips with no warranty left. any chance that did something to eventually fail the fuel pump and controller?

On 6/17/2023 at 11:23 AM, MoteroNC said:

well I ended up having to take it to the dealer. They replaced both the fuel pump and the electronic fuel control unit and all is good at this time. Question is:

I did about a year and a half ago put in some resistors to simulate fuel tank full as I was tired of replacing strips with no warranty left. any chance that did something to eventually fail the fuel pump and controller?

Morning  MoteroNC

Spoofing the fuel strip should have had no effect on the fuel pump or FPC as long as you didn't short something out in the fuel pump circuit when doing it.