IGNORED

Riding pants with zip-off lower legs? BMW Summer pants available anywhere?

SHIMHEAD

Any advice on riding pants with zip-off lower legs? Are the BMW Summer pants still available anywhere? The wife is wanting to do some local island trips with walks on the beach, and something like that would be great to simplify outings. Anyone have experience with these types of pants?

I don't think I have ever seen protective gear that ends at the knee or elbow. I understand the desire for it but extremities are at high risk of injury when unprotected.

1 hour ago, dduelin said:

I don't think I have ever seen protective gear that ends at the knee or elbow. I understand the desire for it but extremities are at high risk of injury when unprotected.

The idea is that the lower leg portion can be easily removed at your destination.  My mesh cargo pants with zip-off legs from Olympia were my favorite for combining a day ride with a 4 to 8 mile hike in a state forest. 

Unfortunately, after ten years they caught covid and shrank.

32 minutes ago, randy said:

I think they are asking about pants to wear UNDER the riding gear.  they are called convertible pants
REI Co-op Sahara Convertible Pants - Men's | REI Co-op

Well. since the request was for RIDING pants, similar to the BMW Summer pants, I assume motorcycle gear is really what is wanted.

Mine were much like this Recon model, later known as Dakar pants:

Unfortunately, neither BMW nor Olympia offer these now.

On 4/25/2023 at 10:27 AM, randy said:

I think they are asking about pants to wear UNDER the riding gear.  they are called convertible pants
REI Co-op Sahara Convertible Pants - Men's | REI Co-op

I always thought a pair of ladies capri pants would be the ticket for underneath textile safety pants.  They'd be that layer to keep that textile to keep from sticking to your hide after it melts sliding down the hot pavement.  Even went into a couple of stores asking if they had a pair to fit me.  Got a lot of smiles followed by polite no.