IGNORED

Blisters Inside Tank - Is This OK

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

About to put pump/filter Assy back, doing final clean and inspection. I see blisters and holes. 😳. There is an expensive aerospace fuel proof bonds like steel epoxy called PRO SEAL. It likes it was made like this. I'm in holding pattern before I assemble.

Is this OK

20230424_140020.jpg

20230424_140228.jpg

20230424_140241.jpg

Afternoon  gmcjetpilot

It is difficult to tell much from the pictures but it looks odd. I have seen some bubbling that didn't really cause any issues but that just looks a bit different. Are you SURE that (epoxy anything) will stick to, & stay adhered, to that surface?  

I replaced my tank last year,  the new one had a few (not as many as yours) bubbles like that inside.  really rough on the outside too   i assumed this was just a crude hidden part on these bikes

ProSeal is amazing. I’ve lined many aluminum tanks with it. It is darn near bullet proof. I’ve never seen it used on plastic or whatever our tanks are made from. You might write or call them to be sure it will seal on these tanks

gmcjetpilot
22 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  gmcjetpilot

It is difficult to tell much from the pictures but it looks odd. I have seen some bubbling that didn't really cause any issues but that just looks a bit different. Are you SURE that (epoxy anything) will stick to, & stay adhered, to that surface? 

I have a background in composites. These tanks look like they have a plastic honeycomb core and inner and outer looking at the one big blister hole that was OPEN. It is not leaking. It did not feel heavy when tank was off and stripped of parts, but then again I don't know what a stock one would feel like. My point is did feel "water logged" with gas. I put it together, put in bike for test fit. I COULD NOT resist, I put fuel in and IT STARTED RIGHT UP... with all the proper fuel indications (low fuel and level).  I am not going to worry about it.  I suspect this is manufacturing defect may be made worse by ethanol? 

16 minutes ago, gmcjetpilot said:

I have a background in composites. These tanks look like they have a plastic honeycomb core and inner and outer looking at the one big blister hole that was OPEN. It is not leaking. It did not feel heavy when tank was off and stripped of parts, but then again I don't know what a stock one would feel like. My point is did feel "water logged" with gas. I put it together, put in bike for test fit. I COULD NOT resist, I put fuel in and IT STARTED RIGHT UP... with all the proper fuel indications (low fuel and level).  I am not going to worry about it.  I suspect this is manufacturing defect may be made worse by ethanol? 

Afternoon gmcjetpilot

That is probably your best bet, if it is going to turn into a problem then it will more than likely start smelling of gasoline vapors with no real leak present. If the tank starts getting to that point then hydrocarbons are probably starting to wick through the outer layer. 

I was just looking in my tank 2004 R1150RT and saw the same thing. Looks like bubbles rose up in the plastic while curing. I'm not going to worry about it either.

Keith