IGNORED

Deep Cleaning Frame & Engine w/ Fairing Off

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

After many years of my bike being idle I'm going through a top the bottom. The R1150RT of course has that plastic shell that covers up everything. It's pretty filthy underneath. Before I start putting it back together it needs to be really deep cleaned, any suggestions? Products, techniques, tools? MUST protect from water items?

Exhaust is blued and nasty?

Lower engine dirt oil grime?

Suspension & wheels?

Frame, including delicate wiring, systems & instruments? 

What nor to do?

20230423_155639.jpg

20230423_160207.jpg

20230423_155653.jpg

6 minutes ago, gmcjetpilot said:

What not to do?

Evening gmcjetpilot

Do not use a power washer as those things are very detrimental to wire harness coverings & force high pressure water into places it shouldn't be going.  

Everybody has their own way, I usually spray a little WD-40 on the high dirt areas (not on wire harness), then let it sit for a while , then wash with hot water & dish soap.  

I have an 02. I clean all the inside of the tupperware and wax it one time per year.

Under the tupperware,   I brush and damp rag everthing that isn't oily or greasy. I spray degreaser on the bottom of the engine, brush scrub and rinse.

The wiring harnesses have disintegrated in the usual areas.

I use double sided black velcro used inside of computers and wrap the exposed wiring. It's a gentle contact on the wires and dries if it gets wet in a rainstorm. 

I only wash the leading edge of the bike during the summer, intermixed 3x with lemon pledge wax, including the windscreen.

After riding in rain, I use a leafblower to dry the bike. This happens rarely, usually on the way home from work. I am a fsir weather rider.

If I ride on a weekend day with possible rain, I ride towards it and turn around before it gets to me and go home.

I clean wheels and wax them when I change the tires. I touch them up occasionally when the bike's in the center stand and I can spin the tires with a rag on them.

Dawn and warm water by hand with a rag. If Dawn won’t take it off I use simple green aviation as non-corrosive to aluminum. If tar on wheels I’ll use an orange based product like goo b gone followed by a rinse with soap and water. I use Rejex for my wax and  Maquire plastic restore on the black plastic pieces. Mothers aluminum with buffer on Dremel for exhaust. 

King Herald

There are 'foaming cleaners' that you can spray on that bubble up and apparently clean in all the nooks and crannies far better than a rag and soapy water will. Unfortunately I've never tried one, only heard from other people how good they are.

So I'm like the other guys, bucket of soapy water (dish washing soap) and a rag. Give it a good rub all over, hose it off,  rinse and repeat a time or two depending on how clean you want to get everything. 

I wear some rubbery gloves when washing mine as there's plenty of sharp corners to knock skin off in tight places. 

It's all a question of how much time you want to spend on it as to how clean it will end up. 

One thing I can add is:  brushes.  One can never have enough brushes. 

With that, whenever I am out and about (auto parts, home supply, hardware store, etc,) I am always on the lookout for a unique brush that I can use to get in various nooks and crannies on the bike.  I have a few different types for a multitude of uses.

20230424_180801.thumb.jpg.6e9a8c34c855b9b29ad9edc5a681dafb.jpg

• Like 2

That black and white brush is what I clean my wheels with. Some of those others look like something I saw in Amsterdam 😳

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Some of those others look like something I saw in Amsterdam 😳

Why did I know this comment was coming??  :rofl:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Skywagon said:

That black and white brush is what I clean my wheels with. Some of those others look like something I saw in Amsterdam 😳

Sounds like personal experience,......not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Plus 1 1
gmcjetpilot

Thanks for all the great advice. 

Got the first layer of dirt off. Now I can see what needs more attention & detailing. There is some minor corrosion on few parts, hardware that needs to be refinished.

I taped off some things, ignition, gas cap, some electrical connections wrapped in baggies. I also used compressed air to blow dry some areas. I used a variety of brushes from a tooth brush to larger ones of various shapes, but nothing from Amsterdam.  🙄

Just got it running today after a few years in mothballs (dead in tank pump now fixed). Brake lines and pads tomorrow. Getting close to road ready.  Thanks again for tips, I used them.👍

20230425_164634.jpg

20230425_164612.jpg

• Like 2