IGNORED

R1150RT VS R1100RT HALL SENSOR

Stavros

Hallo dear friends.

I bought the R1150RT, 2003 model, almost a year ago and having decided to keep her for a long time ahead and ride her all over Europe I decided to go the expensive way and I ordered from my BMW dealer a spare fuel pump and a Hall sensor to carry with me when I'm far from home. The dealer asked for the frame number of the bike because the catalogue gives for the same model two different parts. From what I understand the difference is the length of the wire and the connector. A few days latter the parts arrived and I took the sensor on my hands and unboxed it in front of the mechanics of the same dealer. The gentlement swear that it was a R1100 sensor with the 6-pin flat connector and not a R1150 with the 6-pin rectangular one. I tried to explain that for some unknown reason BMW offers both in their catalogue and that the assistant from the parts department of the same dealer, gave me the specific one. They reply that they have never seen a flat connector on a R1150 and if what I was saying was true, then mine would be the first in their experience. To make things more complicated they told me that the 6-pin rectangular connector is out of order for the time being. However, a specialized experienced electronics mechanic in the dealer, that I spoked to him myself, could replace the wire and connector of my new sensor to the rectangular one, (from spares that he already has in hand), if I wished to do so and he guaranteed that it would be as good as the original if not better! My thoughts are, do I ask them to reveal the sensor that is currently fixed on the bike and make sure which type is that I really need, (which propably means at least removing the fairing and the cover of the engine), or I go straight for the modification and hoping for the best? Is it indeed the length of the wire different between the two models - apart from the connector? I would truly appreciate your thoughts.

By the way last week my wife and I, we did 2.400km (Athens to Belgrade and back) for the Easter holidays. Totally pleased from the bike, although I must admit I would rather do the trip alone, so that I could push the speed in certain moments, a bit higher than the 80-90 miles/hour that was the comfort zone of the wife...

Thank you once more.

szurszewski

Someone smarter than I will be along to tell you if it's more than the plug that's different (I don't know, but I think the plug is the only change - though wire length could be). I do know for the 1100 there is only the HES with flat connector listed, and for the 1150 both parts are listed as options. I assume then that, like several other things, they made the change after starting 1150 production and your 2003 would fit into the category of "early" 1150s. 

Here's a pic from a parts house here in the US showing the later/square connector version - perhaps you can compare your wire length to that in the pic. 

image.jpeg.da2593fc270e5495663ca23b9e5b1561.jpeg

and here is a pic from the parts diagram showing the two connectors (as a line drawing)

image.png.e102802b96760689cbf3fcccfeaa3634.png

Good luck with the new bike - that trip sounds fantastic, even if you did have to take things a *little* slow to keep the wife onboard ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavros said:

Hallo dear friends.

I bought the R1150RT, 2003 model, almost a year ago and having decided to keep her for a long time ahead and ride her all over Europe I decided to go the expensive way and I ordered from my BMW dealer a spare fuel pump and a Hall sensor to carry with me when I'm far from home. The dealer asked for the frame number of the bike because the catalogue gives for the same model two different parts. From what I understand the difference is the length of the wire and the connector. A few days latter the parts arrived and I took the sensor on my hands and unboxed it in front of the mechanics of the same dealer. The gentlement swear that it was a R1100 sensor with the 6-pin flat connector and not a R1150 with the 6-pin rectangular one. I tried to explain that for some unknown reason BMW offers both in their catalogue and that the assistant from the parts department of the same dealer, gave me the specific one. They reply that they have never seen a flat connector on a R1150 and if what I was saying was true, then mine would be the first in their experience. To make things more complicated they told me that the 6-pin rectangular connector is out of order for the time being. However, a specialized experienced electronics mechanic in the dealer, that I spoked to him myself, could replace the wire and connector of my new sensor to the rectangular one, (from spares that he already has in hand), if I wished to do so and he guaranteed that it would be as good as the original if not better! My thoughts are, do I ask them to reveal the sensor that is currently fixed on the bike and make sure which type is that I really need, (which propably means at least removing the fairing and the cover of the engine), or I go straight for the modification and hoping for the best? Is it indeed the length of the wire different between the two models - apart from the connector? I would truly appreciate your thoughts.

By the way last week my wife and I, we did 2.400km (Athens to Belgrade and back) for the Easter holidays. Totally pleased from the bike, although I must admit I would rather do the trip alone, so that I could push the speed in certain moments, a bit higher than the 80-90 miles/hour that was the comfort zone of the wife...

Thank you once more.

Afternoon Stavros

My parts book only shows the  12112306137 (flat connector) HES used on the 1100.

The 1150 parts book shows either the 12112306137 (flat connector) HES used, or the 1211673277 (rectangular connector) used on the 1150.

For the 1150 you really need to verify  which one you have (the late 2003 up most likely has the later 1211673277 rectangular connector but that sure isn't a given)

• Like 1