IGNORED

2011 BMW 1200 RT or 2006 BMW K1200R

KBoot

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a great sport/touring bike and I am considering trying BMW.   This are both relatively cheap to avoid any major disappointments.

2011 BMW 1200 RT with 36,000 miles or 2006 BMW K1200R with 12,000 miles. 

Both have minor nicks & scratches, both have great tires and fully serviced ready to ride. 

Most of the time it's just going to be for easy rides, but I want enough power to also have fun once in awhile.  Not my younger years of GXR's and other sportbikes I'm sure with these two.  I would not be taking in the extremely long road trips that I know of as I am more a weekend type or nice day-long trips.  Sometimes I would have a small gal on the back with me so not sure if I would keep the quite large rear case on the 2011 just yet. 

I am new to the site and looking forward to all your thoughts and feedback.  Even if you all so no, avoid, get a Suzuki, Yamaha FZ etc.

Personally I'm not inclined to purchase a 17 year old motorcycle with only 12000 miles.  Too much sitting around and the potential issues related to non use. The camheads (R1200RT) are very reliable with the exception of the throttle cam pulley issue but with 36000 that not likely an issue. I had a 2011 RT, great all around motorcycle. 

Not sure of your budget but you can find a 2013 through 2016 K1600GT in the 8000 to 12000 range.  Very reliable and a fantastic engine.  They are heavy but that doesn't limit the handling very much once moving. I love mine.

I have had four RTs  04,14,18 and my current 21RT which just turned over 49K miles. Every RT I've owned had over 100K miles on them when I traded them in on the next RT so I'd be inclined to recommend that you get the RT :) .

MichiganBob

I've been riding BMW twins for (gulp) 50+ years. I like how they feel and we have good conversations. Some good points made above above about how long they have been stored, and cared for. Age can be detrimental to a bike, more so than miles, so you might want to get detailed storage history on these bikes if available.

Thank you for your feedback thus far. It sounds like the RT might be the better choice.   I was not thinking about the low miles.  No way to confirm for certain if it was sitting for years and years or if it was only used for a quick ride to the store up the street every week.

I am older now so the larger fairing might be nice as well.  Hopefully the wind does not hit my face or forehead as some have done in the past.  I am 5"10" so it was just a small fairing and this one looks plenty big enough.  It's great to hear about the 100,000 miles for a motorcycle!   That is very, very reassuring as when I first noticed the 36k miles I was nervous.  I have had all sorts of bikes in my life but now that I am in my 50's I feel it time for something that is a bit more comfortable with some accessories but hopefully plenty quick?  

Any large differences between the 2?
Is the RT a quick bike? I do enjoy taking off from a stop sign and going fast sometimes. Gotta do that once in a while! Not wheelies fast, but something that says That was Fun! You know what I mean.

What about the weight?   I have yet to own a bike this heavy and wonder what it's like at a stop, slow turns etc.  I weigh in at 175lbs. 

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.  What a nice forum!

2011 Camhead RT hands down. Easily the best of the air/oil cooled twins and lightest as well.

More than enough power to fly down a twisty road and surprise full-on sport bikes! The all day comfort is a big plus as well.:thumbsup:

KBoot,

I have an '09 K1300S (VERY similar to the '06 K1200R you are considering), and several other bikes including an older '99 RT.  The major difference you will find between your choices is that the K has WAY more power and the RT has better weather protection and cargo space.  

The K has several known issues (starter wiring, fueling quirks) while the RT has fewer issues and is easier to work on for the most part.  The K is a real "sport bike" and the RT is a very capable touring bike.  The K doesn't really like to be driven in town, especially in heavy stop and go traffic, while the RT doesn't mind it so much.  The riding position is very different between the two, also.

It really depends on what you want in a bike and how you will use it.  Do you want a Ferrari or a mini van??

I wouldn't be too concerned about the low mileage on the K.  

On the weight of these bikes, once you get above 5 mph you don't notice it at all.  I have a Honda ST1300 that is 700 lb without saddlebags and me.  THAT is a heavy bike and makes the beemers seem light.  But the weight disappears at 5 mph on it, too.  One advantage of weight is ride smootheness, just like a car.

There may be some service bulletins and recalls that you might check on both bikes.

Check the tire dates on whatever bike you get.  If any are older than 4-5 years get new tires.  It'd not the miles but the years (and tread depth).

Show us some pics.  We like pics.

szurszewski

While the K does have "way more power" I think you'll find the RT to be a pleasingly quick feeling as well. I have the GS version of the same year and it is fully capable of satisfying my desire to feel sporty whenever I ask it to. Especially if you don't ride the K first... ;)

I suppose if you want to get very quickly from 90mph to 135 mph very quickly, the K is a better choice. For every other reason, including simply that the newer RT will be newer and likely have fewer issues because of age and because they simply have fewer issues than that era K, the RT makes more sense for you use case. 

Also, if you want to get from zero mph to 135 (or more!!) mph very quickly, "...the K is a better choice."  Although, drag strip starts are not it's forte.  

When I bought my first BMW in '16, a '99 R1100S, I was terrified of it, thought it was the most powerful and capable bike in the world, all 82 (dyno) hp.  When I get on it now it feels like a Schwinn, but still brings a huge smile to my mug.

This forum is a very good the best source for info, help, amusement, and polite argument, especially for the R (boxer), oilhead bikes up til now.  If you want info, help, and more robust arguments on the modern (transverse) K bikes, try this: https://www.k-bikes.com/

For a review of the K:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/bmw/k1200r/2005/

I've seen the term "wicked fast" used on the K12 in this forum.

image.thumb.png.d0b45568456dcac6e4dfd4612ea58e0d.png

I would submit that a test ride on that K won't tell you much.  I have 2,188 miles on my K13 and am still terrified of it and only using 10-15% of its capability.  I've only hit the rev limiter (11,000 rpm) once and that was because of ear plugs and I forgot what gear I was in.  I normally use the rev limiter as my shift point on the other bikes.  I've started off in 1st-4th gears on the K and it didn't object.

If I'm going out for a fair weather ride in the mountains the K is my go-to.  If I'm going to NY city to visit Aunt Emily, I'd take the Honda,  If it's cold and/or raining I'll take the RT.

Again, "It really depends on what you want in a bike and how you will use it.  Do you want a Ferrari or a mini van??"

The tires are NOT part of the decision.  You will be buying new ones frequently.  Kinda like saying "I bought this car because it had my favorite kind of oil in it."

Heck, get 'em both and then decide.

And remember, as someone on here stated somewhere, "If you don't stop to admire it while walking away in the parking lot, you bought the wrong bike."

Zero Experience on a K other than drooling.  I'm on my 4thRT dating back from new in 1979 to my current bought new 2014.  Each iteration has been a leap from the prior.  Mine have been nearly trouble free and never anything serious.  The RT is plenty fast.  Max Stanley said ~1910 the Piper Cub is just fast enough to kill you.  The RT is faster by a lot.  I never owned a CAMHead, but from all the reports here over a decade or more it is a fine bike.  Some of the folks that report that are folks that rode them for a profession.  The RT has really good wind protection and with the adjustable windshield while moving you can get as much wind as you want or go dead quite if needed.

I hope you buy one and will stay on this forum...it is the best place for BMW's, some fun bs, and knowledge of many other brands as well.  The site owner is a Harley and BMW owner and quite the awesome dude.  We are fortunate enough to have some serious....I mean seriously knowledgeable BMW engineers here who freely (still amazed) give of their knowledge and expertise which seems to be darn near unlimited.  Hi DR.

• Like 1
MichiganBob

I find the thing about weight is not about going down the road but just simple maneuvering. For example, my driveway slopes up to the garage door. There is also a slight slope backing out. Manualy moving my loaded RT in tight places is about as much as these old legs can pedal. Same when parked at some restaurants, motels, rest areas, etc. I remember helping half a dozen bikes out of the ferry from Luddington to Manitowoc. Then getting on centerstand. Who's that old guy who took over my body?