IGNORED

North Border Crossing Dilemma

The wife and I are driving the cage to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise mid-June. She won’t ride that far and we have both soured on flying. Our marriage will either survive the road trip or you’ll notice my absence from the board.  (If so, she did it!)😳

I don’t take any long trip without some protection and I don’t have a concealed carry permit. I don’t want to start a discussion on a “shall not be infringed”  discussion here. I know I can’t take said protection on the boat and will leave it in my car for the cruise. We both want to visit some parts of British Columbia before Glacier Nat Park etc. on our return trip. 
My question…I know I can’t take a firearm across the border and am at a loss on my options. We have relatives in Washington state I could leave it with but that would require a seriously long backtrack trip to retrieve it. Am I stupid to think I could put it in a duffel bag and rent a temporary locker at a Greyhound bus depot or something?  I appreciate any ideas, past experiences, or solutions to my dilemma. I know somebody surely has run across this problem before. TIA

I would first possibly check on resources like the NRA on ideas. Your idea of a locker or storage facility  might work, I looked into shipping and that looks like a no go unless you have an FFL license.

My concern for you is that carrying a weapon ( assuming a gun ) anyplace in your vehicle where you could protect yourself is for the most part illegal. 

IE if its loaded and in a glove box or beside you etc , in the event of a traffic stop something minor could become a big deal.  

A knight stick or truck tire thumper could be carried and used if needed. 

That said maybe i'm lucky but I have never in my Trucking , Driving Motorcycling life felt I needed a weapon traveling cross country. 

My advice would be to leave the weapon at home and plan you route to minimize any risk. 

ether way sounds like a fun trip enjoy!!! 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

There are no good options for firearms if you are going to touch foot in Canada.  Shipping a firearm back home is a PITA and you're only protected one way.  I ride to BC and Alberta every other year and I just leave my shooter at home.  As Rider says, even crossing the US with a firearm with or without a concealed carry permit is a mine field.  My advise is bear spray.  There are some restrictions but they are a lot looser than firearms.  Bear spray is legal in Canada.  It works on bears and other predators.

• Plus 1 1

Also look out for Washington.  They just passed s massive gun ban and even bringing it into the state will likely be illegal.

Here's your open carry chart

travelmap-February-2015.png

Years ago (late 80's/early 90's), I'd put a .38 in the dash/windshield area while traveling.  Got yanked in SC and lawdog says I gotta put it in the glovebox or underseat.....I said, "does that make sense to you?",  he simply responded with "that's the law" and let me roll on my way.

Anyway, don't know nuthin' bout border crossing, but in the States, I'd not concern myself so much with carrying in the vehicle as you gotta get stopped, then you gotta be searched, then they gotta find it, then you gotta calmly explain why you got it, and from there it's a 50/50 shot a "common sense" LEO being accepting of your 'splanation.  

One thing you could possibly do for the border is find a FFL Dealer type at/near your border crossing and see if there's a storage facility/fee location.  Could also check with the local LawDogs at the border crossing town to find out proper procedures.

31 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Anyway, don't know nuthin' bout border crossing, but in the States, I'd not concern myself so much with carrying in the vehicle as you gotta get stopped, then you gotta be searched, then they gotta find it, then you gotta calmly explain why you got it, and from there it's a 50/50 shot a "common sense" LEO being accepting of your 'splanation.  

Firearm is legally registered to me and I’ve carried cross country many times. I cannot in good conscience put my wife and myself out there without protection. It’s a risk I’m willing to take. 

• Smile 1
1 minute ago, Rinkydink said:

Firearm is legally registered to me and I’ve carried cross country many times. I cannot in good conscience put my wife and myself out there without protection. It’s a risk I’m willing to take. 

Completely understand and agree.  But Washington just passed the most comprehensive and worst assault weapons ban in the country and it includes some semi auto handguns depending on features and they made it illegal to import them into the state so carry it across state lines is considered importing by them.  Just be careful.

3 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Completely understand and agree.  But Washington just passed the most comprehensive and worst assault weapons ban in the country and it includes some semi auto handguns depending on features and they made it illegal to import them into the state so carry it across state lines is considered importing by them.  Just be careful.

Just don't get caught

• Haha 1
BerettaRacer

I've wanted to do something along the lines of a Montana/Banff trip for a while, either winter skiing of summer on the bike, so have given that issue a little thought. One possible solution was, like you, rent a small private storage lkr somewhere, like Extra Space, or one of the many similar out there, and just leave it packed in a suitcase/duffle with some dirty laundry you don't want to carry anyway.

The other is to find a local gun shop, preferably some Mom & Pop type, and ask them to "store" it for you. Or you could ask them to "clean it" for you and you'll pick it up in a week, etc. My thinking is some Mom & Pop type store, just tell them you want to cross the border, they will be familiar enough with the laws to know you can't carry across. Just get a receipt with the serial #/mags etc. Ammo may be more of an issue if they don't want to store that for you. In which case you have to throw away you're existing ammo, and buy fresh when you pick up. 

But it seems for you, with the new laws in Wash, without a carry permit, you can't bring into there anyway.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TSConver said:

Exactly why I decided to bring a 5-shot revolver. 

7 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

I've wanted to do something along the lines of a Montana/Banff trip for a while, either winter skiing of summer on the bike, so have given that issue a little thought. One possible solution was, like you, rent a small private storage lkr somewhere, like Extra Space, or one of the many similar out there, and just leave it packed in a suitcase/duffle with some dirty laundry you don't want to carry anyway.

The other is to find a local gun shop, preferably some Mom & Pop type, and ask them to "store" it for you. Or you could ask them to "clean it" for you and you'll pick it up in a week, etc. My thinking is some Mom & Pop type store, just tell them you want to cross the border, they will be familiar enough with the laws to know you can't carry across. Just get a receipt with the serial #/mags etc. Ammo may be more of an issue if they don't want to store that for you. In which case you have to throw away you're existing ammo, and buy fresh when you pick up. 

But it seems for you, with the new laws in Wash, without a carry permit, you can't bring into there anyway.

That is exactly the kind of tips I was looking for. 

10 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Years ago (late 80's/early 90's), I'd put a .38 in the dash/windshield area while traveling.  Got yanked in SC and lawdog says I gotta put it in the glovebox or underseat.....I said, "does that make sense to you?",  he simply responded with "that's the law" and let me roll on my way.

One thing you could possibly do for the border is find a FFL Dealer type at/near your border crossing and see if there's a storage facility/fee location.  Could also check with the local LawDogs at the border crossing town to find out proper procedures.

The info on that website is not up to date. Alabama is a Constitutional carry State now.

For up to date info I use:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

Cooperative traffic stops for speed don't usually generate a search........

• Like 1

Haven’t really decided yet. All still being finalized. (Figuring out what the better half wants to do) but relatives live in Sedro Woolley. 

szurszewski
10 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Haven’t really decided yet. All still being finalized. (Figuring out what the better half wants to do) but relatives live in Sedro Woolley. 

Oh - well, if you're going to do anything that involves going from Seattle to Vancouver and storing the gun on the US side of the border first and then picking it up after, I can't think of a better option than storing it with them in Sedro Wooley. It's literally less than an hour from my preferred border crossing point in Sumas. 

What storage option could be quicker and safer than that? I mean, even if you found a dealer to store it in Blaine, the time you'd spend in the shop before and after would probably be not much more than the detour to/from the relatives' house. 

It really only seems like it's a problem if you wanted to go INTO Canada in WA but then come back OUT somewhere further east like Idaho or MT. If you want to do that and have the gun waiting for you there...well, that's a much more complicated problem. 

I would 100 percent choose a few hours detour over leaving it in a bag in a bus locker or equivalent. The only option I'd consider instead of leaving it with these relatives is leaving it with a dealer - so, if it were me, I'd call a dealer in Blaine or similar and tell them what you want to do (well, I'd keep it short - I'm from Arkansas, I'm going to drive into Canada from WA and have a revolver I'd like to leave In WA for a few days - can you/will you legally store one for me?) - no idea if here in WA they can release a gun to a non-resident, but they should know. (Though, with the very recent legislation they may be hesitant to do anything unusual right now that involves a gun and a non-resident). 

I guess that's not true - I'd also consider just leaving the gun at home. I'm not anti gun and I've carried on trips before too, but eventually got out of the habit because it became too much hassle. I don't and have never carried daily, so it seemed odd to feel I *needed* to when traveling. While I understand your feelings and I'm not arguing with you, I can say that in 25 years of lots of road and bike trips around the US and Canada, I've yet to find myself in a situation where I wanted a gun and didn't have one. In fact, the one time I did consider it might be good to have a gun in my hand, I did have one in my side case (which I was standing next to and could have accessed easily) - it turned out that NOT taking it out was the right choice. 

But, whatever! You do you and I hope you and the wife have a great trip (the cruise will be beautiful I'm sure!) and that your marriage survives ;)

Cannot leave it with a dealer.  A dealer would have to put it on their AD book and then for you to pick it back up you  would have to be a resident of the state of WA and complete a 4473.  I am a FFL dealer so I do know those laws.  A "gunsmith" might be able to skirt the law if he received it as a repair then it can go back to the owner with out completing a 4473.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There used to be weapon storage lockers on the US side at the major/24hr border crossings.  Similar to safety deposit boxes with one key for you and one key for them.  Certainly simplified travel to/from Alaska.  But they stopped that service over a decade ago. 

Just perusing RV travel forums possibilities include:

• Pawn shop storage (obvious limitations)
  • Local dealer/gunsmith in Idaho near the border might be easier
  • Shooting range storage (most often members only) 
  • Bank safety deposit box (Pricey option, involves lots of paperwork, may not be available if you don't have accounts there, iffy transport issues)
  • Local police station

The last one I found interesting.  Suicide/self harm support groups have pushed for the last option.  Example: https://hiprc.org/firearm/firearm-storage-wa/ . I have no idea what paperwork is required.

Most general storage facilities specifically state "no firearms storage". 

Mike C

Calvin  (no socks)

After watching Breaking Bad  again... Plastic bag under a rock 5 miles from the border....:grin:

• Like 2
szurszewski
2 hours ago, Calvin (no socks) said:

After watching Breaking Bad  again... Plastic bag under a rock 5 miles from the border....:grin:

No one would ever find it! Well, I mean, I would never find it if I did that....like the kid from Stand By Me looking for his pennies.

John Ranalletta
3 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

No one would ever find it! Well, I mean, I would never find it if I did that....like the kid from Stand By Me looking for his pennies.

Geo cache

• Like 1

Back during the '73 gfas crisis, I rode down to the races in Daytona. I took a gallon can of gas and hid it in the woods by a sign on the southern end of the WV turnpike. When I went to pick it up on my way home, I found it was gone.

• 2 months later...

Three weeks on the road and we are smooth worn out. One more hotel then it’s home. 👍

I have stayed in the Kansas City MO area a couple of times and didn’t choose a “good” area either time. Any areas to absolutely avoid ( or to favor) along the I-29/I-435 loop? Can’t wait to see my four pups and kitty. 

IMG_5616.jpeg

IMG_5617.jpeg

IMG_5619.jpeg