IGNORED

2011 RT front wheel TPMS module replacement

NRV-RT

The front TPMS module's signal is intermittent which I assume indicates the battery is on its last legs.  If I buy a new module and install it myself, does it require any type of electronic "initiation" with something like a GS911 (?) or will the bike's system pick up the new module's signal and resume proper operation?  Thanks.

Before you go replace the tpms sensor are there any aftermarket devices that use wifi, Bluetooth or any other wireless transmissions? You might have signal interference.  If you don't use any wireless device then I would say take a look at a tpms sensor going bad or weak battery.  The sensors usually last about 10 years.

I have a cam setup on my 2012rt. It uses wifi for communication to my phone. It interferes with my front tire tpms intermittently.  When I turn the wifi off the tpms displays information without problem. My tpms sensors are now 11 years in service and still work fine.  My GS-911 shows good numbers. My tpms scanner reads battery OK. 

If you replace the tpms sensor the GS-911 has a programming feature for replacing sensors. You will need the identification number of the sensor to type in the information. OEM sensors usually have a decal attached to the sensor with the Identification number on it. I just want to make sure you rule out signal interference before spending money on a sensor. They are expensive. Usually they are replaced in pairs (front & rear) but the cost of these sensors make it prohibited for some depending on their budget.

Thanks 6speed TI,

I have no aftermarket devices on the bike which might interfere with the TPMS signal.  The front module started acting up last December on a couple of rides in cold-like weather.  I rode the bike once in February on a coldish day and it also was intermittent that day.  I rode it each of the last two days, in 80 degree weather, and on the first day the front module was not functioning until I rode about 10 miles, then it started working fine. I rode the next day, yesterday, and the front worked fine from startup.

I know a very, very good motorcycle mechanic, who is also a retired Marine Corp helicopter mechanic, and he said, although the battery is probably on its last legs, it would  be more susceptible to a weak output in colder weather, as when I rode it late last year, and probably work a little better in warmer weather,  as it did the last two days in 80 degree temps. That makes sense.

I won't replace it until it fails completely.  And thanks for the information on the new module needing some type of initiation with the proper electronic instrument to make it function.  I will probably just have the dealer complete the repair when it is needed.

Thanks for the informative feedback!!

Thanks Brad,

Further proof that I need to let the dealer install a new module when the time comes, as their labor charge should surely include programming the new unit to function properly.  :)

The BMW part is horribly priced. Schrader makes an aftermarket replacement - the 3141M - which is identical and costs much less. Trouble is BMW has somehow blocked the sale in NA.

One dealer quoted me $249 for just the part, and another dealer quoted a little higher with 3/4 hour labor--$97.50--for installation and programming.  My excellent independent mechanic no longer has a GS911 so that is out. Oh well, it is what it is! :)