IGNORED

Current draw of aux lights on 2020 R1250RT?

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

Would anyone happen to either know this, or know how to find this? I'm researching replacement lights (LED) to replace these and want to make sure I don't make the CANBUS mad.  One set I found has a 2.7 amp current draw.  Is there a way to measure this on the bike with a meter? I'm pretty decent with mechanical things, but electrical is not my forte'.  

image.png.13508c85631acf682203ad4c2fd2bdfa.png

It doesn't matter if the lights are on the bike or not . The manufacturer usually states how many amps the unit draws . How many amps is the current unit rated for ?  Do you have a multimeter ? Most have a setting for 10 amps or less . 

Lone_RT_rider

The lights that are on the bike are the factory BMW units, so getting info on the Manufacturer might be problematic. I have a multimeter, but knowing how to use it to check current draw is something completely different. Any tips to help or a tutorial link that you trust from You tube would be helpful. 

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
4 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Any tips to help or a tutorial link that you trust from You tube would be helpful. 

I think I found something, but I would need to pull the connector and make a jumper for the ground, correct? 

Shawn, I suspect it's a 2 pin connection. If so, once you disconnect the the connection you'll need a jumper on one side and use your meter to connect the circuit on the other side. Really won't matter where the meter is you will get either  + or - but the amperage reading is the same. 

• Plus 1 1
2 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Shawn, I suspect it's a 2 pin connection. If so, once you disconnect the the connection you'll need a jumper on one side and use your meter to connect the circuit on the other side. Really won't matter where the meter is you will get either  + or - but the amperage reading is the same. 

Usually 3 pin, power, ground and control.

3 hours ago, TSConver said:

Usually 3 pin, power, ground and control.

I've got a set that I pulled from the GT no control just 2 pins

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

I've got a set that I pulled from the GT no control just 2 pins

My GSA had three wires going to them.

• Like 1

It could be that the aux lights are receiving brightness control from the ambient light sensor.

On my 2018 RT, my Clearwater lights and my headlight bulb will dim or brighten which is probably controlled from the ambient light sensor.

This maybe why the newer bikes aux lights have 3 pin connectors.

6 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Would anyone happen to either know this, or know how to find this? I'm researching replacement lights (LED) to replace these and want to make sure I don't make the CANBUS mad.  One set I found has a 2.7 amp current draw.  Is there a way to measure this on the bike with a meter? I'm pretty decent with mechanical things, but electrical is not my forte'.  

Actually it is the ZFE that controls all chassis electrics and monitors for over/under current. The CAN-bus does data communicatione amongst the various controllers on the bike.

The ZFE may be programmed specifically for those halogen lights and there is a possibility that the lesser current drawn by LEDs would result in a lamp error (the ZFE would perceive the low current as an indication that a bulb is burnt). There is a chance that the ZFE has an alternate setting for LEDs and that the Motoscan app could do the necessary recoding.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, Lone_RT_rider said:

image.png.13508c85631acf682203ad4c2fd2bdfa.png

Hi Shawn  - I think the BMW fogs are 20 watts each, but I can't find the link I found when researching this same question a few years ago.  So if BMW fogs are 40 watts for the pair, the set you are considering should work.   

I assume you do not want to work around the BMW system and use the Can Smart or EZCan solution?  

Lone_RT_rider

Greg, your trying to make sure I remember my Physics 2, aren't you? Lol. :4317:

Dude... That was 35 years ago!

A=W/V

I think you would probably calculate that at regulated running voltage of around 14 volts though. 

Shawn 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Two of my friends switch them with Ericas from Clearwater.  The Clearwater lights are canbus friendly.  I do have a set of Ericas but they are mounted under the mirror. I just installed a set of covers that I found on Amazon of color green.  I'm happy with the results. image.jpeg.6a5a595c4174bb7e3ed29daebf933449.jpeg