IGNORED

Windshields for 1250...

Twisties

My bike came with a ZTechnik Touring Screen, 19.5" tall.  Protection/performance is excellent, but it's too tall for me, especially as I got a low seat.  I'm 5' 8" - 5' 9" tall.  I don't like looking through a windshield or transitioning from looking through to looking over.  

So, Sharon got a ZTechnik Sport shield which she likes.  At 15.5" it's the same height as the stock shield.  She says it's better, though.  I'm using her stock shield.  Been riding with the stock shield, and it's ok.  But, I feel I'd like an improvement.  I think the 15.5" screen is about the right size, or I could likely go as high as 17".    It seems many manufacturers go from 15"ish to 19"ish, and then up from there. Aeroflow has a 17.5" touring screen, but they cost considerably more than many competitors.  Givi's are all out of stock, and I don't recall if I saw any other 17"ish screens out there, but I think not.  

Options then are:

1.  Cut 2" - 2.5" off of the existing ZTechnik touring shield...  drawbacks being it might look like crap or break... I've cut one sucessfully before so I'm will to chance that on a screen I'll never use.  Also, potentially cutting it that much may result in odd behavior... eg poor wind management.

2.  Buy a ZTechnik Sport Shield...  It's just so similar to the stock shield in overall size that I can't bring myself to believe it's really better... I guess I need to ride Sharon's bike a few miles.

3.  Spring for the Aeroflow.....  Do people like theirs?  

4.  Ask you guys....   

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

After many years with a ZTechnik, and after a lot of research, I recently pivoted to a smoked Puig touring screen.  Ugly, but very effective.  Easy install.

Touring Screen for motorcycle BMW R1250GS 2022 - Puig Hi-Tech Parts (puigusa.com)

My 2019 GS came with a ztechnik. Not sure what size but I didn't like it. Had a smoked Puig on my 2016 that the new owner did want and mounted it on the 2019.  Much better. Measures 20 inches.

20230420_080126.thumb.jpg.43f6063140eb2cac504c27f3cfa2e9d2.jpg

• Like 1

OK, but the Puig is 21" and I'm complaining about a 19" being too tall.....  Are you guys looking through it, or is somehow flat enough that you see over it?

Problem solved.  The 19.5" ZTechnik is now 16.5".  I had the cut line marked on tape and the tape came up as I cut the right curve, obscuring my view, so a slight bobble on that curve.   But, I can live with it.  Someday I may be motivated to do a little more edge polishing, but not today.  Guess I ought to go riding now and see how it works.  

20230420_144629.jpg

20230420_145545.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up a new unused Smoked Puig Touring Screen from a member on R1200GS forum. I am 6' and in the full down position I look over the top. Problem I had was that the screen required it to be flexed in pretty good to align with the bike brackets. I also used the Puig stiffener kit. This made adjustments with the knob only impossible. It felt like you would break the mechanism. I had to be off bike, push or pull screen with hand while turning the knob. I decided the screen worked fine in the full down position and just left it there. I reached out to Puig customer service three times and never recieved a response, so there is that to consider if you get one that is the same.

20201221_153538.thumb.jpg.9290f9a1df2cf94c58a83c0578f08ab2.jpg+

20201221_154349.thumb.jpg.40fa42d9e4911877cb5e7f2e146b33ec.jpg

• Like 2