IGNORED

What's in your tool kit? What should be in your tool kit?

pwillikers

I intend to do some very remote, West TX, NM solo touring.  Given the meager population in those locales, I'm likely to be eaten by coyotes before being rescued should a breakdown or mishap occur.  The BMW tool kit is astonishingly lame.

Capture.JPG.9308133e233a6d62b22eacab4bea062d.JPG

So, a question to those who've lived with a Camhead (or Hexhead) RT long enough to form an opinion.  What's in your tool kit?  What are the common malfunctions that may befall an intrepid traveler which could be remedied roadside given the proper skill, tools and accessories?  Are there specific failures that should be considered?

Common Mishaps, Repair Tools and Supplies:

Tire puncture repair: 12V compressor, tire plug kit of choice (I prefer the rubber stringy things).

Replacement tire: Call a tow truck OR Stow the bike somewhere safe, remove the wheel, transport to obtain a new tire, reverse process.

T50 torx, 3/8 breaker bar w/ extension (lug nut removal), T45 torx, 13mm wrench OR adjustable wrench and T40 torx (loosen clamp and move muffler out of the way).  Front tire?

Random Electrical malfunction: Diagnose problem, repair with parts on hand.  What are the predominant failures? This is a weird one given the presence of CANBUS.

Multi-meter, fuse assortment (for no reason), wire, tape, wire cutters , Leatherman

Random Mechanical Problem: Diagnose problem, repair with parts on hand.   What are the predominant failures?

T25 torx (body panels), T40 torx (frame),

Zip ties, duct tape, safety wire,

What else do you carry?

Have you done any preemptive parts replacements?

Thanks.

bruce2000ltc

I pretty much carry everything you listed with the exception of ft/rear wheel removal tools -- if I can't plug it I'm calling for help.  I also carry a battery booster and I've needed it to start my RT on some cold Colorado/Montana mornings. A plus is that it will also charge your phone or other electrical devices.  BTW, I've carried my leatherman tool on my bikes for almost 50 years now...I remember when I bought it and thought the 25 year warranty was forever. 

I've ridden west Texas and New Mexico and TSCover's suggestion of a Garmin In Reach Mini or a SPOT satellite messenger is a good idea.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Whatever you carry, do at least one complete "respective" service with that kit to make sure you can take care of problems on the road.  Naturally, the only exception is the flat repair........unless you are on your way to get new tires!!

A GS-911 and the phone app installed.  The phone app will allow limited functions but it is set up for road side emergencies.  

szurszewski
23 hours ago, pwillikers said:

I intend to do some very remote, West TX, NM solo touring.  Given the meager population in those locales, I'm likely to be eaten by coyotes before being rescued should a breakdown or mishap occur.  The BMW tool kit is astonishingly lame.

Respectfully, any road normally used by a reasonably sane person on an RT, even in those areas, is still going to be reachable by a tow truck and not so remote that you'll be sitting roadside for days before someone happens by...so really all you need is a credit card and a cell phone (you may, of course, need a thumb to hitch a ride to the nearest cell coverage). 

I'm not that smart/not much of a mechanic, so I don't bother to carry more than I can use. I did upgrade to a Cruz tool kit, and I carry tire repair stuff. I have tubeless tires, and I don't carry tools to remove the tire -just to plug it or, as you said, to remove the wheel. Beyond that and some zipties and tape...that's it. So, basically, some sockets,  a few flat wrenches, some pliers. If I'm going far away from home for a long time, I will throw in some really basic electrical stuff - but that's really just to keep my accessories and comfort stuff happy - I have no delusions that I'd be able to diagnose and repair a serious electrical problem, roadside, with the bike itself. If I'm camping and have space, I'll probably have a mallet - I figure if something goes really wrong I can also use that to beat the crap out of the bike for stranding me - it won't fix anything, but it will maybe make me feel better (and keep me warm if it's cold out).