IGNORED

R1100RT oil filter size?

jacksdad63

Hi, I've justbought a 1998 1100RT, and want to give it a service.

I've just received a Mann W712 filter and a Draper 76mm filter socket, as told by the Haynes manual..the socket is bigger than the filter :facepalm:

Can you tell me what is wrong please? The filter is about 74mm diameter and 80mm tall, I'm assuming I need a smaller filter socket?

Any links to a decent filter remover would be a massive help as well, thanks :classic_biggrin:

On 4/17/2023 at 4:29 PM, jacksdad63 said:

Hi, I've justbought a 1998 1100RT, and want to give it a service.

I've just received a Mann W712 filter and a Draper 76mm filter socket, as told by the Haynes manual..the socket is bigger than the filter :facepalm:

Can you tell me what is wrong please? The filter is about 74mm diameter and 80mm tall, I'm assuming I need a smaller filter socket?

Any links to a decent filter remover would be a massive help as well, thanks :classic_biggrin:

Evening jacksdad63

Does your filter wrench fit the filter that is on your motorcycle now? If so then you will need that wrench to remove your existing filter. 

There a couple of different oil filter fluting designs that fit the BMW motorcycle as different filters can use a different fluting design. 

On the filter wrench that fits your Mann W712, just take your filter to you local auto parts store & find one that fits. Most auto parts stores have number of filter wrench's so you should be able to find one that fits your filter.

Hi again...still no oil change!

The 76mm that the Haynes manual say, is wrong, too big. I've just got a 74mm 15 flange tool to fit the Mann 712, thats correct...but it won't grip the filter on the bike :mad:

So I'm guessing I need a 74mm 14 flange remover?

Please help, I'm losing the will to live.....:dontknow:

I have used the socket from  Hazet 2169 from W. Germany to remove the oil filter on two 2004 R1100S machines. These have the oil filter recessed like your bike. The filter socket measures 74.5 mm across and has 14 flats. It has worked with Mahle filters OC91 (R1100S) and OC619 (R1200RS). Hope you see the pictures, they were taken by my tablet.

20230419_175436.heic 20230419_175308.heic

1 hour ago, Oldrider51 said:

they were taken by my tablet.

For those using apple products, the native format of .heic is not compatible with the forum software ... it saves as a download rather that  displaying in-line ... which is not optimal for most users.

The solution is to go into settings / photos / Transfer to MAC or PC option. (might have to scroll down to get to it).  Select Automatic .  

This will not affect you photos or the ability to store them on your device or in iCloud ... but it does make them readable by other than Apple software without add-ons.

Today 3 more filter removers arrived. None fit the filter on the bike, one 14 flange fits the 15 flange Mann 712, but won't go in the hole in the engine case.

One 74mm one is wider than 74mm, obviously a cheap Chinese badly made or stamped as 74-14.

I then spent 2 hours grinding down the alloy 74mm 14 flange one left, got it to go into the hole but it won't grip the filter!

Is there a smaller filter fitted to the bikes? Mine again is a 1998 R1100RT, UK bike. I'm now thinking an incorrect filter has been fitted, so my only option is to cut away a section of engine casing so that I can get at the filter with a strap wrench....

If I don't get this sorted soon I'll cut my losses and sell the bloody thing. 

Drive 2 screw drivers into the bottom of the filter and then stick a third one between them to remove it a homemade spanner wrench.

I have thought of doing something similar but if I can't then remove the damned filter from hell, I will be stuck with a wrecked engine....

Can the casing around the filter be dropped without removing the engine? This design must be the daftest thing BMW have ever dreamt up!

Sorry that the first pictures did not come through. Here are some more of the HAZET 2169 oil filter socket. It worked on both of my 04 R11100S machines with the recessed oil filter on a Mahle OC91 filter. I don't know how this would be different from your 98 RT as far as the engine cases are concerned. 

P1050868.JPG

P1050869.JPG

P1050870.JPG

I see he Hazet 2169 14 flute 74.4 mm on Amazon. This matches the one in the pictures. Not cheap but has always worked.

szurszewski
1 hour ago, jacksdad63 said:

so my only option is to cut away a section of engine casing so that I can get at the filter with a strap wrench....

Maybe, please, don't do that. Seems a bit extreme - perhaps first you could post a picture of this seemingly one-off sized filter? 

1 hour ago, jacksdad63 said:

If I don't get this sorted soon I'll cut my losses and sell the bloody thing. 

That also seems a little extreme, but if the only options are cut the case or sell the bike, I guess sell the bike makes more sense. 

If it were me, I'd start trying methods like those above - figuring out a way to turn the filter without the wrench, and starting from least to most destructive. if you have a wrench that's small enough for the recess in the case but too big to grip the filter, the just above suggestion of lining the wrench with something grippy seems like a great first thing to try. 

If you don't see a way to do that, and you don't want to try putting some screws through the closest-to-fitting filter socket/wrench you have, perhaps it would be worth paying a mechanic to do this oil change...making sure the new filter is one for which you have a wrench? 

Thanks again for the replies, I'll try to take a picture of the filter thats fitted.

The 74mm 15 flange tool fits the new Mann filter, and the 74mm 14 flange also grips it. It appears that the filter fitted is smaller than 74mm, as the tools I've managed to get into the filter hole just turn on the filter. I'll try packing the tools with emery paper, see how i get on....I'm 60 and been building bikes, cars and run a modified 4x4 for  decades but this is the one thing thats got to me!   :classic_angry:

23 minutes ago, jacksdad63 said:

Thanks again for the replies, I'll try to take a picture of the filter thats fitted.

The 74mm 15 flange tool fits the new Mann filter, and the 74mm 14 flange also grips it. It appears that the filter fitted is smaller than 74mm, as the tools I've managed to get into the filter hole just turn on the filter. I'll try packing the tools with emery paper, see how i get on....I'm 60 and been building bikes, cars and run a modified 4x4 for  decades but this is the one thing thats got to me!   :classic_angry:

Afternoon  jacksdad63

It should take less time to remove the darn thing than it does to talk about it. 

If you have a filter wrench that fits into the oil filter cavity in the case & will GO OVER the filter end then just drill 3 holes in the wrench (see picture below) then run in 3 self tapping screws (large enough diameter screws to not shear off).

I have yet to see one that won't come loose using this method. 

filter wrench_holes.jpg

• Like 1

Afternoon  jacksdad63

Or you can try a universal filter wrench with 3 gripping fingers. These don't have a lot of bite but if the filter isn't too tight they can work. 

universal Oil fil wrench.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  jacksdad63

It should take less time to remove the darn thing than it does to talk about it. 

If you have a filter wrench that fits into the oil filter cavity in the case & will GO OVER the filter end then just drill 3 holes in the wrench (see picture below) then run in 3 self tapping screws (large enough diameter screws to not shear off).

I have yet to see one that won't come loose using this method. 

filter wrench_holes.jpg

I like that! Hadn't seen that before. 

• Smile 1

Its off at last! :clap:

Hosstage gave me an idea: I made a strap wrench from coarse grade emery tape, about an inch wide, and a long M6 bolt.

I wrapped the ends of the tape round the bolt, then looped the tape round the filter and turned tight with pliers (I also ran the motor up to hot) and the filter just came off in seconds. The small bolt just fitted between the filter and the housing, as soon as I started to turn the bolt head the filter moved!

Now, the offending item...a European Filter Corporation 380160..never heard of them! Its a 74mm but the flanges are tiny, its almost smooth, NOT recommended! 

Thanks again everyone, now to sort out the ABS....:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1