IGNORED

Steering Head Bearing

RPG

I am replacing the steering head bearing on my 2004 RT and wanted to ask about the center bolt. 

In the image, the center bolt (6) is stuck in the bearing (5) and was wondering if that should be the case (I think not) and then what would be a good process for removing it from the bearing? 

Thanks, 

RPG

B0004184.png?v=09082020

2 minutes ago, RPG said:

I am replacing the steering head bearing on my 2004 RT and wanted to ask about the center bolt. 

In the image, the center bolt (6) is stuck in the bearing (5) and was wondering if that should be the case (I think not) and then what would be a good process for removing it from the bearing? 

Thanks, 

RPG

Afternoon Rick

It shouldn't be stuck but some end up that way over the years. 

Just remove the bearing & bolt together, then turn the bearing over & set it over a hole or large socket (something that will allow the bolt to push through the bearing) then use a piece of hardwood, or aluminum, or even a copper penny on the bolt threaded end, then give it a few hits with a hand press (also known as a hammer).

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks D.R.

Since it's original I suspected that it might be stuck. I'll get out in my shop this afternoon and give it a whack. :)

• 5 months later...

Re-visiting this because something else may be amiss. As noted, I installed a new bearing earlier this year, and after about 4,000 miles this summer, the same problem is back. Albeit, not as bad as before, but with the bike planted on both tires (off the center-stand) , there is a slight movement of the bars.

IOW, I can take the right or left handlebar and press up and down and notice some very slight movement.

Could there be any other components that could cause this? And more importantly, should I continue riding it before I find the culprit?

Thanks,

RPG

3 hours ago, RPG said:

Re-visiting this because something else may be amiss. As noted, I installed a new bearing earlier this year, and after about 4,000 miles this summer, the same problem is back. Albeit, not as bad as before, but with the bike planted on both tires (off the center-stand) , there is a slight movement of the bars.

IOW, I can take the right or left handlebar and press up and down and notice some very slight movement.

Could there be any other components that could cause this? And more importantly, should I continue riding it before I find the culprit?

Thanks,

RPG

Afternoon Rick

Can you tell if the deflection is in the upper triple tree or possibly in the handlebar itself?

Ther is an isolation rubber between the inner & outer handlabar.

Morning D.R., I tried a bit of troubleshooting before my morning meetings.

I don't see any deflection in the handlebars that is isolated from the upper triple tree. Like I said if the bike is off the centerstand, that's where I feel/hear the movement. And it is very, very slight.....but there. And there isn't any movement/clicks when on the centerstand.

What I did do was remove the left handlebar assy from the triple tree, to start, and just moving the right handlebar, the movement is still felt. I got my stethoscope out and probed the triple tree bearing (very slight noise/click) and then moved to the area under the cap (joint link).  #3 below

The noise/movement is definitely louder in that area, but again, I'm not seeing any movement. 

image.png.00c7243d98fb550621f1fea1f720305f.png

7 minutes ago, RPG said:

Morning D.R., I tried a bit of troubleshooting before my morning meetings.

I don't see any deflection in the handlebars that is isolated from the upper triple tree. Like I said if the bike is off the centerstand, that's where I feel/hear the movement. And it is very, very slight.....but there. And there isn't any movement/clicks when on the centerstand.

What I did do was remove the left handlebar assy from the triple tree, to start, and just moving the right handlebar, the movement is still felt. I got my stethoscope out and probed the triple tree bearing (very slight noise/click) and then moved to the area under the cap (joint link).  #3 below

The noise/movement is definitely louder in that area, but again, I'm not seeing any movement. 

Morning Rick

Pop the cap off then see if you have movement in the center bolt to the bearing or have bearing movement in the triple tree bearing pocket.

If the old bearing was pounding for a while then it might have increased the clearance in one of the above.

On the center stand extends the forks & puts pressure on the bearing, bolt to bearing, & fork bushings. So that isn't representative of what you have when riding down the road or with motorcycle weight on it's wheels. 

• Like 1

Morning D.R. I popped the cap and honestly can't see any movement at the bearing. But that seems to be the likely place.

Is there any chance the bolt itself could be the issue? I'm thinking not as it was a very, very tight fit getting it into the new bearing last spring. But that does seem a likely candidate.

10 minutes ago, RPG said:

Morning D.R. I popped the cap and honestly can't see any movement at the bearing. But that seems to be the likely place.

Is there any chance the bolt itself could be the issue? I'm thinking not as it was a very, very tight fit getting it into the new bearing last spring. But that does seem a likely candidate.

Morning Rick

If the bearing area is the place that the movement is coming from & you can't find movement in the bolt-to-bearing or bearing-to-upper-casting then it might just be in the bearing itself.  

The front subframe (that the bearing bolts to)  is not loose on the engine is it? 

Morning D.R.,

Interesting thought about the front sub frame. I know I had those bolts loosened a few years ago. (I can't remember exactly what for).

I need to pull the panels off anyway to replace the alternator belt, and some new lower plugs, so I will verify that they're tight. It makes sense that it could be the issue.

Thanks very much!

image.png.29203e1508fa3db9950d9348244212a3.png

Spent yesterday morning going through all the frame fasteners and couldn't find anything that was loose. And I can't visually see anything moving. (even with my good reading glasses) :)