IGNORED

GS911

Dave P

Are all GS911 devices the same? I saw this on ebay, thought they were way more expensive than this. This one was about $65. Id be using it on my 07 R1200RT. I did see wifi versions that were in the $300 range. Would the item pictured work for my bike? Thanks, Dave140CB7DB-B6C1-4D16-A998-13A6A3F76B0B.thumb.png.ae124ea273d0e215810e041f31a03332.png

At that price, and with the software on CD, it's a counterfeit.  May or may not work, but there will be no support  or software upgrades.

Hexcode dropped the yellow USB models in favor of the red wireless ones years ago.  If you are trying to save a few bucks I'd look at the Motoscan app with an appropriate OBD reader.

I have a legit yellow GS-911 from beemershop.com, and although it gives me some peace of mind when a scan shows no trouble, I also have to say that it is not a necessary tool.  I might reconsider that opinion if my RT had a service reminder light that needed to be reset.

1 hour ago, Dave P said:

Are all GS911 devices the same? I saw this on ebay, thought they were way more expensive than this. This one was about $65. Id be using it on my 07 R1200RT. I did see wifi versions that were in the $300 range. Would the item pictured work for my bike? Thanks, DaveAre all GS911 devices the same? I saw this on ebay, thought they were way more expensive than this. This one was about $65. Id be using it on my 07 R1200RT. I did see wifi versions that were in the $300 range. Would the item pictured work for my bike?

Afternoon Dave

As Larry mentioned those things are Chinese counterfeit. Not only that but you will probably find a little note that comes with it that states if you manage to connect it to the the internet (like use it with a laptop that has internet access & it tries to update) that could destroy the software. There is a reason most of those Chinese counterfeits can only use a clunky  CD for software (no direct access current updates) & definitely no support. 

With the newer BMW's requiring the later Wi-Fi (red) GS-911s you can find a decent deal on used older yellow GS-911s if you shop around, just make sure if you buy one that it has at least  1 or 2  remaining VINs available as most only allow 10 VINs input into it then you need to update to commercial version.   

Great solid advice, I thought $65 sounded fishy. I'll see what I can scare up on a yellow unit. Rather not drop $400 on one of these. Dave

On 4/15/2023 at 1:00 AM, Dave P said:

Are all GS911 devices the same? I saw this on ebay, thought they were way more expensive than this. This one was about $65. Id be using it on my 07 R1200RT. I did see wifi versions that were in the $300 range. Would the item pictured work for my bike? Thanks, Dave140CB7DB-B6C1-4D16-A998-13A6A3F76B0B.thumb.png.ae124ea273d0e215810e041f31a03332.png

The cheap knock-offs, used to be the originals till the chinese started making multiples of them. They were then replaced with a newer model to cut off all links with the knock-offs. The new ones work and is supported for updates etc. They are pricey but they are a godsend for all BMW owners- both boxers and K's