IGNORED

Are People Driving More Impatiently?

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Granted, I'm an old guy, retired, in no rush. It seems that more and more, I'm being tailgated, especially by pickup trucks. Also,  vehicles passing me only to cut in front of me, even though traffic is heavy and there's no where to go.

I'm thinking that it is not logical or rational behavior because they won't get there any faster and maybe it is something else. Poor impulse control,? Sport? Boredom? Attention deficit? Living in a time where instant gratification is the norm? What do you think?

I see a lot of Me, Me, Me, I, I , I  people in a hurry.  I cracks me up when they get stuck at the next light and I come rolling through as the light changes.   :rofl:

szurszewski

Do people drive like that, sure. Is it more common now? Well, depends on when you're comparing it to I guess. 

To put in a counterpoint, I do notice improvements too. For instance, maybe ten years ago they put in new bike lanes near my office. One particular one was crazy wide in a particular spot - like, exactly as wide as a right turn lane, but clearly not marked like that. At first, practically EVERYONE used it like a turn lane. Now, almost no one does. Just one example. 

But, yeah, everyone is in a hurry and everyone is thinking about what they have to get somewhere to do - not the actual driving that they are doing, sort of, at the moment. Obviously that's a sweeping over-generalization, but those are certainly the people we notice.