IGNORED

Fuel Pump Electrical Issue - 98 R1100R

bigeye135

Hi there, went to ride the bike a few days ago and it won't start, realized there was no fuel pump priming. Firstly, yes the ignition is on, kill switch in the middle position, and the side stand switch has been bypassed for a while now. My AGM battery has been fully charged and isn't even a year old yet. Last rode it about a month ago, so it hasn't been too long since it last worked. After diagnosing, I've been able to determine a few things:

1. There IS ground continuity from the fuel pump plate to the frame and negative terminal

2. No fuses are blown (replaced/switched multiples times and tested for continuity)

3. As far as I can tell, the relays all work. I've switched the fuel pump and horn relay multiple times, and the horn works every time. I can also hear the relay clicking on then right back off.

4. Both sides of the 3 pin connector have been cleaned and tested.

5. After turning ignition on/flipping the kill switch, power jumps up to 12v and then falls right back to zero at the 3 pin connector.

The bike did actually start and idle for about 15 seconds in the middle of diagnosing before blowing the fuse and hasn't come back to life since. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

24 minutes ago, bigeye135 said:

Hi there, went to ride the bike a few days ago and it won't start, realized there was no fuel pump priming. Firstly, yes the ignition is on, kill switch in the middle position, and the side stand switch has been bypassed for a while now. My AGM battery has been fully charged and isn't even a year old yet. Last rode it about a month ago, so it hasn't been too long since it last worked. After diagnosing, I've been able to determine a few things:

1. There IS ground continuity from the fuel pump plate to the frame and negative terminal

2. No fuses are blown (replaced/switched multiples times and tested for continuity)

3. As far as I can tell, the relays all work. I've switched the fuel pump and horn relay multiple times, and the horn works every time. I can also hear the relay clicking on then right back off.

4. Both sides of the 3 pin connector have been cleaned and tested.

5. After turning ignition on/flipping the kill switch, power jumps up to 12v and then falls right back to zero at the 3 pin connector.

The bike did actually start and idle for about 15 seconds in the middle of diagnosing before blowing the fuse and hasn't come back to life since. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Afternoon  bigeye135

That blowing the fuse could be pointing to a seized up fuel pump.

Unplug the fuel pump connector then see if you can manually power up the pump with a 15amp FUSED jumper wire from the battery.   (caution: don't try to power up with an unfused jumper)

23 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  bigeye135

That blowing the fuse could be pointing to a seized up fuel pump.

Unplug the fuel pump connector then see if you can manually power up the pump with a 15amp FUSED jumper wire from the battery.   (caution: don't try to power up with an unfused jumper)

Thanks for the help, getting nothing from the pump with fused test leads. Looks like it may be a wiring issue inside the tank or the pump is completely gone.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would update this thread. I took the pump out and ran it in a bucket of gas and it was really on/off even while being directly powered by 12v. after a few minutes of turning it on and off, it suddenly just started to run fine, so I ordered a new sock and put the pump back into the tank once it arrived. I've been riding for about a month now with no issues whatsoever. I guess the pump just got gummed up or something, really I'm not sure.

• Like 3