IGNORED

H7 headlight burns out after 80 hours

coopeh1305

2008 R1200 RT

I seem to be replacing my headlight bulbs (Sylvania H7) after about 80 hours or 5,000 to 6,000 km. Is this normal? Is there a better solution?

Local dealer did not have or recommend a LED replacement.

Good news though.  I have become quite adapt at changing the bulbs. Take the windshield off and loosen the the display and easy to access either side.  15 mins.

szurszewski

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/48-Platinum-H7-LED-Headlight-Bulb_p_86.html

or, if you want, they offer a full "kit" specific to your bike 

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/BMW-R1200RTR1250RT-LED-headlight-bulb-kit_p_194.html

I'm not sure what exactly is in the "kit" but the owner is a regular poster on ADV and is usually quick to answer questions by email. 

45 minutes ago, coopeh1305 said:

2008 R1200 RT

I seem to be replacing my headlight bulbs (Sylvania H7) after about 80 hours or 5,000 to 6,000 km. Is this normal? Is there a better solution?

Local dealer did not have or recommend a LED replacement.

Good news though.  I have become quite adapt at changing the bulbs. Take the windshield off and loosen the the display and easy to access either side.  15 mins.

Afternoon  coopeh1305

80 hours is pretty short but those 1200RT's can eat standard H-7 bulbs pretty regularly.

If you want to stay with the OEM style H-7 then you might try an H-7-LL  (Long Life), those typically don't make quite as much light output but they are designed to last longer in certain high failure situations.  

One thing for sure is to quit using the Sylvania H-7 if they fail in 80 hours of usage.  

Are you using the Sylvania Silver Star? I don't have much personal experience with them but they seem to have a reputation for not lasting very long.

When I had my 07 RT, I was getting about 18k miles on low beam bulbs using Philips or Osram bulbs.

Suparee H7 LEDs off Amazon installed 6 months ago about 6000 miles ago. Superb tight beam and much brighter white light. I'll never  go to back to halogens.

Remove  both upper fairings  to access the bulbs. After 15 minutes to remove the fairings the bulbs swap in 2 minutes.

• Plus 1 1
szurszewski
1 hour ago, dduelin said:

Suparee H7 LEDs off Amazon installed 6 months ago about 6000 miles ago. Superb tight beam and much brighter white light. I'll never  go to back to halogens.

Remove  both upper fairings  to access the bulbs. After 15 minutes to remove the fairings the bulbs swap in 2 minutes.

Any dash warning lights with these? 

Had the same problem and with big hands it was a real pain replacing the bulbs. My mechanic recommended the Hella H7 bulb that has an extra glass support at the base of the elements inside the bulb for strength and to reduce vibration. Seems to work.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:27 AM, eisenwal said:

Had the same problem and with big hands it was a real pain replacing the bulbs. My mechanic recommended the Hella H7 bulb that has an extra glass support at the base of the elements inside the bulb for strength and to reduce vibration. Seems to work.

Many brands of  bulbs have the glass bead or bridge for extra support of filiments. I had a few old but functioning H7 bulbs lying around (replaced by the Amazon sourced Suparees) and I read about the so called extra support theory so I looked at the collection. 3 of them had the bead only 1 did not. Brands included Osram, Phillips, and Sylvania.