IGNORED

R1100RT Can't find my trunk key!

Dave P

Hello- 96 1100RT, somehow over the winter I've misplaced my damn trunk key. OEM 33 liter box. For some reason (it was like this when I bought it) all of the locks are the same- except the trunk. Someone must have changed it at some point. Anyway, the trunk is locked of course. The key did not have irregular notches like a typical key, it looked more like the attached "sketch". the notches were all the same. 

So before I go looking for a lockset to swap out, i wonder if this used some sort of "skeleton" key or ?

Can I even extract the tumbler on a locked topcase?

I might have a lockset with a key in one of my stash boxes... Thanks, Dave

trunkkey.jpg

Edit- I do in fact have a spare lockset and key. Found in my box of spares. Guess the question is can I get the old lock out without having a key? Dave

I've gotten help from Tri750 rekeyeing my top case lock. He's pretty knowledgeable and might be able to help. PM him. His name is Al. Miguel

With a couple of nice riding days ahead I would just wait it out a bit.  There will another month before the weather stays nice around here.  You may find that key in the meantime.  

So I used another BMW key (somehow I've got a few spare keys and tumblers) and was able with some fiddling to get the box open. Once open I was able to use a paperclip to extract the whole tumbler. I switched out a couple of the little plate things so that all plates were flush when my main key was inserted. Reinstalled the tumbler. Now my trunk opens with the same key as the ignition, gas etc. Good thing I lost that wierdo key, now everything works off of one key like it's supposed to. Dave

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Dave P said:

So I used another BMW key (somehow I've got a few spare keys and tumblers) and was able with some fiddling to get the box open. Once open I was able to use a paperclip to extract the whole tumbler. I switched out a couple of the little plate things so that all plates were flush when my main key was inserted. Reinstalled the tumbler. Now my trunk opens with the same key as the ignition, gas etc. Good thing I lost that wierdo key, now everything works off of one key like it's supposed to. Dave

Morning Dave

I usually remove all but one or two (wafers) from mine so about any BMW key will open it if wiggled around. That way someone in my ride group can always open it for me. I do the same with the side cases.

I never worry about someone else entering as most times a thief doesn't have a BMW key with them and doesn't have the time to fool with. They usually just yank it hard & break things or kick the plastic apart.