IGNORED

Brake Fluid type - is there something better than DOT 4

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

What Fluid to use. DOT 4 or something else, new improved. No desire  to reinvent the wheel (pun intended). I'm replacing my brake lines, brake pads and flushing  brake/abs system.

DOT 5 may be?  *EDIT: No.*

EDIT: Google has informed me DOT 4 and 5 are not compatible. My Clymer manual says DOT 4. Beemer Boneyard sent me DOT 4. However some web sites sell DOT 5.1 for BMW R1100RT and R1150RT? Hummmm. Before I destroy my brake and ABS system... please advise with sage wisdom.

Dot 3, Dot 4 and Dot 5.1 are all compatible.  Dot 5 is not compatible and will damage seals in our brake systems.  Why not use what the manufacturer recommends?

• Plus 1 2
gmcjetpilot
3 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Dot 3, Dot 4 and Dot 5.1 are all compatible.  Dot 5 is not compatible and will damage seals in our bWrake systems.  Why not use what the manufacturer recommends?

Why indeed. I just edited my reply. I saw DOT 5 is not compositable. Got it. DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT 4.  I already bought  DOT 4 so that is what we are going with.

Q: Is 5.1 better? To answer my own question I guess it has higher boiling (and likely flash point). I don't think brake fires are a thing on BMW motorcycles. 

. Yep going to stick with DOT 4/ Thank you/ 

12 minutes ago, gmcjetpilot said:

Why indeed. I just edited my reply. I saw DOT 5 is not compositable. Got it. DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT 4.  I already bought  DOT 4 so that is what we are going with.

Q: Is 5.1 better? To answer my own question I guess it has higher boiling (and likely flash point). I don't think brake fires are a thing on BMW motorcycles. 

. Yep going to stick with DOT 4/ Thank you/ 

Make sure that Dot 4 is low viscosity that is specified by BMW.

P.S.  I am sure you know, but just in case.....brake fluid will eat paint quickly.  Be sure to cover with rags around the areas you will be using e.g master cylinder.  If you spill, clean up and flush area.