IGNORED

How to detect if I have lowered front suspension?

009jim

Hi Folks, I am fairly new to the forum and have had my 2012 R1200RT for about a month. I've done about 800 miles, and I have a suspicion the bike's suspension may have been lowered. First sign of this was that I have to keep it on the "Sport" setting or the front bottoms out on any substantial bumps. This does not occur on my other bikes. Secondly the specifications say that the front suspension travel is 4.7 inches, but on mine once I am sitting on it, there is only about 2.5 inches left. Thirdly, two of my friends have the same bike and told me these are very easy to put on the centre stand because you don't have to lift the bike much, just roll it back, but mine is a huge effort to put on the centre stand and then there is about a 1.5 inch gap under the back tyre when it is on the centre stand.

This bike has only 20,000 km on it (12,000 miles), so seems unlikely the suspension is worn out.. The bike appears to be in mint condition.

So my first question is:- does anybody have a suggested way for me to check if I have in fact got a lowered front suspension? Is there a specification for the length of the front shock absorber unit? or, is there some marking or coloring that would reveal it?

My 2nd question is:- would anybody consider measuring the gap under your back tyre when it's on the centre stand for comparison - mine is 36 mm (about 1.5 inches).

3 hours ago, 009jim said:

My 2nd question is:- would anybody consider measuring the gap under your back tyre when it's on the centre stand for comparison - mine is 36 mm (about 1.5 inches).

I can't help with your first question, but here's the best picture I can get for the gap at my 2013 RT's rear tire while on the centerstand. Definitely less than your 1.5 inches; I see it mine as closer to slightly more than one inch (tough to get an exact read due to parallax view). Tire is a Bridgestone T32 GT with about 1,000 miles if that matters, as some tires may have slightly varying diameters. My RT has the original shocks and ESA.

20230411_055321.thumb.jpg.0cc865180176d710b4fa7a7689e835fa.jpg

Edit: This wood stack-up barely slid under the center of my RT's rear tire, so I measure the gap as 1.125".

20230411_061008.thumb.jpg.1ce4229a29749f145f13659e773fa34a.jpg

• Like 1

First measure the travel with out any weight on it.  If you are on the bike some of the travel is used by your weight.  

Do you know of the owner had custom springs installed for his weight? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 009jim said:

Hi Folks, I am fairly new to the forum and have had my 2012 R1200RT for about a month. I've done about 800 miles, and I have a suspicion the bike's suspension may have been lowered. First sign of this was that I have to keep it on the "Sport" setting or the front bottoms out on any substantial bumps. This does not occur on my other bikes. Secondly the specifications say that the front suspension travel is 4.7 inches, but on mine once I am sitting on it, there is only about 2.5 inches left. Thirdly, two of my friends have the same bike and told me these are very easy to put on the centre stand because you don't have to lift the bike much, just roll it back, but mine is a huge effort to put on the centre stand and then there is about a 1.5 inch gap under the back tyre when it is on the centre stand.

This bike has only 20,000 km on it (12,000 miles), so seems unlikely the suspension is worn out.. The bike appears to be in mint condition.

So my first question is:- does anybody have a suggested way for me to check if I have in fact got a lowered front suspension? Is there a specification for the length of the front shock absorber unit? or, is there some marking or coloring that would reveal it?

Morning Jim

Does your motorcycle have ESA? I don't believe BMW offered ESA on the lowered 1200 camhead. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Jim

Does your motorcycle have ESA? I don't believe BMW offered ESA on the lowered 1200 camhead. 

I believe heated seats and a radio was not an option as well. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, 6speedTi said:

I believe heated seats and a radio was not an option as well. 

Radio = yes

ESA = yes

heated seat = yes

heated grips = yes

Thanks for those clues.

9 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Jim

Radio = yes

ESA = yes

heated seat = yes

heated grips = yes

14 hours ago, 009jim said:

What can you conclude?

Someone has lowered the suspension........:java:

Spring change maybe???

And DR is correct, no ESA on factory low suspension Camheads.

9 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

DR is correct, no ESA on factory low suspension Camheads.

A couple of respondents have said this, i.e.  my bike has ESA, therefore did not have "factory" low suspension. Nonetheless, as you suggest, a previous owner may have fitted a softer / shorter spring.

I'm very grateful for the useful responses you are all giving me. Thanks. :18: