IGNORED

"Yellow Thing" aka Bead Keeper... what do you use?

Twisties

If you are using a No-Mar or similar tire changing platform you probably use a mount tool and something to hold the bead down at the starting point, or nearby.  The tool may also prevent the tire from turning on the rim as you work the mount bar around.  No-Mar calls their tool for this a "Yellow Thing."  It has worked spectacularly for us since 2009.  Today it did not work.  No, it did not. I was mounting tires on the new to us 1250 GS's and found that I was unable to get the tool over the rim, even with no tire on the rim.  Just not enough clearance.  

I called technical support and they suggested I use a twisted up rag instead.  Say what?  I could do it with a helper and tire iron, but that might mar the rim.  I tried a bar clamp.  It worked with a soft tire, but no on a stiff carcass (Dunlop Trailmax Mission).

So, I'm wondering, how do you keep the bead from coming back up on you as you mount your tires?  @Joe Frickin' Friday?

I just use spoons to dismount and mount,....don't know nuthin about a yellow thing and haven't had any tires spin on me.

• Like 1

Had the same problem with the spoke wheels on a 2007 GSA. Used a C clamp and yes, scratched the rim. Used leather strips under the clamp afterwards. 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Twisties said:

I tried a bar clamp.  It worked with a soft tire, but no on a stiff carcass (Dunlop Trailmax Mission).

what goes wrong when you’re using a bar clamp?  I get the first bead on without difficulty (often without any tool at all), then I clamp the second bead to the first bead with a bar clamp, and that does a fine job of holding the second bead down and keeping the whole tire from spinning.  Are you using enough lube on that second bead (and on the mount tool)?

if the problem is that the tire spins, then you might try clamping that second bead to the first bead with a bar clamp, and then using a tie-down strap to clamp the tire against the rim right where the bar clamp is located.  Clamp should prevent self-unmounting, and the strap should prevent spinning.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I get the first bead on without difficulty (often without any tool at all)

Yes, me too, and in this case it was somewhat difficult, but I did get the first bead on.

what goes wrong when you’re using a bar clamp?

The tire was too stiff, and I could not compress the upper bead more than a hair below the rim, certainly not to where the beads were together.  

Are you using enough lube on that second bead (and on the mount tool)?

The mount tool was moving reasonably easily, and all seemed well lubed.  

Joe Frickin' Friday
5 hours ago, Twisties said:

The tire was too stiff, and I could not compress the upper bead more than a hair below the rim, certainly not to where the beads were together.  

ok, you couldn’t get the two beads to kiss.  How did this affect tire mounting?  If I’m reading the above correctly, you were able to clamp things well enough so that that part of this bead was below the lip of the rim.  

Mounting tool gets inserted between bead and rim, then you install the clamp, then you advance the tool around the rim, and…what happens?

12 hours ago, Twisties said:

If you are using a No-Mar or similar tire changing platform you probably use a mount tool and something to hold the bead down at the starting point, or nearby.  The tool may also prevent the tire from turning on the rim as you work the mount bar around.  No-Mar calls their tool for this a "Yellow Thing."  It has worked spectacularly for us since 2009.  Today it did not work.  No, it did not. I was mounting tires on the new to us 1250 GS's and found that I was unable to get the tool over the rim, even with no tire on the rim.  Just not enough clearance.  

I called technical support and they suggested I use a twisted up rag instead.  Say what?  I could do it with a helper and tire iron, but that might mar the rim.  I tried a bar clamp.  It worked with a soft tire, but no on a stiff carcass (Dunlop Trailmax Mission).

So, I'm wondering, how do you keep the bead from coming back up on you as you mount your tires?  @Joe Frickin' Friday?

Morning  Twisties

I just use 4 little blocks of hardwood ) about 3/4" thick)  with long string tails tied through holes in the sides of the wood (to allow fishing a block back out if one should ever slip inside the tire during mounting). I have been using this method way before No-Mar was even in existence. 

This won't prevent the tire from spinning but it does keep the tire bead depressed enough to keep the bead in the wheel's center depression.

• Like 1

I have the "yellow thing" been using it for 10+ years.  Never an issue on standard rims

Yes on GS wire rims the "yellow things" will not work.

However when I am mounting GS rims it is someone's else's rims, so we have 4 pair of hands, one person holds the tire iron in place, and I mount the tire using Mitch's mount tool.

I can mount standard rims myself, GS wire rims I can do (if needed) but so far I have always had a second person to help me.

• Like 1

Don't know if this would work on a non-cast wheel but these are great on streetbike rims, usually in addition to the yellow thing. A small ratchet strap around the tire and rim will almost completely prevent the tire from rotating on the rim during install. I position the tire dot (Dunlop still uses them) slightly anticlockwise from the valve. If the tire rotates an inch or so, it ends up nearly perfect. A Mojo bar makes the whole Nomar experience almost pleasant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFNJJVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Plus 1 1
On 4/11/2023 at 2:14 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

ok, you couldn’t get the two beads to kiss.  How did this affect tire mounting?  If I’m reading the above correctly, you were able to clamp things well enough so that that part of this bead was below the lip of the rim.  

Mounting tool gets inserted between bead and rim, then you install the clamp, then you advance the tool around the rim, and…what happens?

There were several things going on.  One being the wheel wouldn't stay mounted on the changer and I found that my old No-Mar Cam and blocks system is not used with these wheels, so I ordered the correct "posiclamps" system and it should be here tomorrow.  So, I was fighting that problem at the same time.  Another thing being in the past I've used this type of bar clamp w/ no issues on softer tires:

c1.thumb.png.078054021efb538b417db36414370843.png

But they were ineffective on this stiff tire.  I have some other wood clamps with deeper jaws and screw type closing mechanisms that I think will do the job in the future and I will try those tomorrow when the correct parts from No-Mar arrive.  To answer your question, however, as the mount bar progressed around the rim, the tire top bead (with the ineffective clamp still in place, pulled back over the rim.  

Thanks everyone for the tips.  I've decided the correct approach is to fly Rougarou out and get this done with spoons!  Ok, really we're expecting the new posiclamps from No-Mar and you all have given me several good ideas to keep the the bead down w/o yellow thing.  So we'll try it again as soon as we have all parts and a warm sunny day!

• Haha 1

That is a pretty ingenious set-up.  I especially like the ratchet system, which keeps you in one spot for better control.   The rim lock device is a great idea!   The fact that you can use the bead breaker at various times to assist is also cool.

The locking tire lever, using the duck head is pretty sweet.

Very clever!

I would need to see a Metzeler tire done on that, the first time.  

• Smile 1
On 4/12/2023 at 9:49 AM, Twisties said:

Thanks everyone for the tips.  I've decided the correct approach is to fly Rougarou out and get this done with spoons!  Ok, really we're expecting the new posiclamps from No-Mar and you all have given me several good ideas to keep the the bead down w/o yellow thing.  So we'll try it again as soon as we have all parts and a warm sunny day!

I have the posiclamps and have used them.  I will say (in my experience) that they work very well on one size rim i.e. I have them set up for the front 19" tire
but trying to use them when doing a front and rear back to back, adjusting them is more work than was the reward.  For some reason I can easily do the 17" rear wire rims with the stock NoMar clamps.  and I use the Posiclamps only for the 19" front wheel.

I will be interested in your experience.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:10 PM, Twisties said:

The tire was too stiff, and I could not compress the upper bead more than a hair below the rim, …

I have experienced that issue too, especially with GT rear tires.  They are stiff.  Obviously, heat helps.  Here in Colorado, where my unheated garage might be 40F during the winter or spring, I found that I can put a new tire into a black plastic contractor’s trash bag and place it in the sun for a couple of hours.  That helps a bit, but the tire is still stiff.  

What I found is that I need to apply my full weight to collapsing the tire beads to “kiss” as JFF says.  And the easiest technique for me is to lay the sun-warmed tire on the ground, and stand on it.  That seems to limber it up.  Then, after setting the first bead,  I apply my full weight to crush the upper bead into the drop center of the rim.  I focus on the location directly opposite the position of the mounting bar, and also just behind the mount head.  Each time I crush the upper bead down, I can get the mount bar to make 30-45 degrees of progress.  A couple of iterations, and then it gets easier for the final spin.

As an aside, I watched a YouTube video where someone demonstrated a technique using large plastic cable ties to hold the tire beads together.  You apply the cable ties using some method the mash the beads together.  And then, the idea is that you mount the tire, and then clip the cable ties and pull them out before inflating.  I tried it once using monster sized cable ties from Harbor Freight… and it worked but seemed like too much work.  So, I reverted to the brute force method.

• Like 1

One down, three to go (two bikes)!  Heated in a bathroom with space heater.  The thermometer read 85 F, but I had the tire on the wall above that, so likely warmer.  Still a stiff #$%%@#.  

The posiclamps did their job.  Whoever said they are a pain, I guess I agree.... although perhaps I'll get used to them in time.  Used some big wooden woodworking clamps and plenty of snot.  

Seem to have it going now!  Thanks for all the help!

Clamps like this, but I think bigger and not from HF,  that's just the first that came up on Google...

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-handscrew-wood-clamp-60551.html