IGNORED

Rubber Seat Point - Lowering kit

JZ67

Hi All;

I took possession of my new to me 2006 R1200RT today and find the seat height too high at the lowest setting compared to that of my previous 03 R1150RT.  I am seeing rubber point with offset hole to lower a bit more but these are for next gen version.  I am sure the rubber bits will still fit but wondering if anyone on here has tried these and if they helped out. 

Thanks

JZ 

13 minutes ago, JZ67 said:

Hi All;

I took possession of my new to me 2006 R1200RT today and find the seat height too high at the lowest setting compared to that of my previous 03 R1150RT.  I am seeing rubber point with offset hole to lower a bit more but these are for next gen version.  I am sure the rubber bits will still fit but wondering if anyone on here has tried these and if they helped out. 

Thanks

JZ 

Evening JZ67

Are you referring to aftermarket front-of-seat (bump stop) rubber bumpers that the seat slides over?  If so you might remove your stock rubber bumpers, then cut some pieces of fuel hose (or some tape wrap), then reinstall your seat to see if it sits a bit lower. If so then offset rubber bumpers will probably help. 

You can also shave a little off the front seat rear rubber bumper pads. 

BMW did offer a lower seat for the 1200RT hexhead.

16 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening JZ67

Are you referring to aftermarket front-of-seat (bump stop) rubber bumpers that the seat slides over?  If so you might remove your stock rubber bumpers, then cut some pieces of fuel hose (or some tape wrap), then reinstall your seat to see if it sits a bit lower. If so then offset rubber bumpers will probably help. 

You can also shave a little off the front seat rear rubber bumper pads. 

BMW did offer a lower seat for the 1200RT hexhead.

Thanks dirtrider, that is exactly what I a referring to.  I probably have some hose around here somewhere and I will give that a shot.

As far as the lower seat offering, I may have to pull that expensive trigger too.  

JZ- It's interesting that you wrote this. I took possession of an 07 1200RT last summer and I too feel the seat is a bit too high, especially compared to my 96 1100RT. And I'm 6' tall!

I just ordered a couple of those rubber lowering things, should have them in a couple of days. It was only 10 bucks so I figured I'd just give them a shot. I'll let you know how it goes. Dave

10 hours ago, Dave P said:

JZ- It's interesting that you wrote this. I took possession of an 07 1200RT last summer and I too feel the seat is a bit too high, especially compared to my 96 1100RT. And I'm 6' tall!

I just ordered a couple of those rubber lowering things, should have them in a couple of days. It was only 10 bucks so I figured I'd just give them a shot. I'll let you know how it goes. Dave

Hey Dave, please do let me know. Can you also send the link to where you found them. 

JZ- I just bought them on evil bay, found a place shipping from the US instead of China. They are still made in China of course. 

can't figure out why this bike feels tall when I'm at 6'. And Ive got the seat in the low position too. Guess they are designed for people 6' 2". D

59 minutes ago, Dave P said:

JZ- I just bought them on evil bay, found a place shipping from the US instead of China. They are still made in China of course. 

can't figure out why this bike feels tall when I'm at 6'. And Ive got the seat in the low position too. Guess they are designed for people 6' 2". D

Evening Dave

If your motorcycle has ESA then make sure that it is functioning correctly &  allowing the rear strut spring seat to fully retract to the lowest position.

Sitting on the motorcycle with engine running, trans in neutral, & sitting on it's wheels  you should be able to feel the height change as you move the ESA from 1 suitcase to 3 suitcases than back to 1 suitcase. 

DR, Ive got a friend with an 08 that does have the ESA, I don't think mine has it. There's a button up on the bars I seem to remember. D

12 hours ago, Dave P said:

DR, Ive got a friend with an 08 that does have the ESA, I don't think mine has it. There's a button up on the bars I seem to remember. D

Morning Dave

If your motorcycle doesn't have ESA then there should be a manual rear shock adjuster so if you have that make sure that is set to lowest position.

Look under your seat to see if you have something  that looks like the picture below, if you do then turn the knob until the bottom of the knob aligns with the LOW setting line. (below picture knob is set to low)

Preload adjuster.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

JZ, I received the two lowering things and they went on easy, seat still attaches properly. I did crank down the adjustment like DR suggested. We're preparing for a multi state move so I have not actually ridden the bike yet with the lowering things on there. I'll report back when Ive done some miles. D

JZ- well the rubber things seem to work, and seat still fits (thought maybe it might try to put the seat too low and interfere with the plastic) seems good to me and I only spent 10 clams.

IMG_3133.jpeg

Thanks for the link.  With shipping to Canada, the parts are going to be over $30 CAD.  I ordered the next gen package for less but will only need the rubber bits.