IGNORED

Fixing to do our 1st tire change today.... TPM sensor?

Twisties

Been changing our own tires for forever, but only ever had one bike w/TPM before, and that was a long time ago.  I know I saw a thread on here about doing it with the TPM sensor, but I couldn't find it just now.  Well, I found some, but not the one I thought I recalled.

Remind me, our tpm sensors are near the valve?  We should try to remove and mount the tire in that area first to avoid dragging the bead over the sensor?

1 hour ago, Twisties said:

Been changing our own tires for forever, but only ever had one bike w/TPM before, and that was a long time ago.  I know I saw a thread on here about doing it with the TPM sensor, but I couldn't find it just now.  Well, I found some, but not the one I thought I recalled.

Remind me, our tpm sensors are near the valve?  We should try to remove and mount the tire in that area first to avoid dragging the bead over the sensor?

Correct. They are near the valve and yes, take care not to leverage the bead over them.  And most of the BMW valves align parallel to the bead.  Adjust as needed. 

Have fun!

szurszewski

It's not that big of a deal - the sensor is pretty small and mounted in line with the center rim of the wheel (the "deepest" part), so as long as you're keeping your tools near the rim where the bead seats, you should be fine. Pic below of GS sensor - I stole this from Woody's and they list this sensor for all GSs with TPMS (from the earlier 1200s through your fancy new rides). 

I break the bead on the opposite side of the valve, and that's about it - as you can see the sensors are designed to not have any edges to catch on the tire while you're working it off/onto the wheel, even if you do spin it and "drag" it along the sensor it should be fine. 

image.png.662a05c489b180d9c22c72115feaecba.png

Skillz!  I'm impressed.

Didn't have any trouble with the TPM sensor.  That was when I found out I need different tooling for my no-mar for the GS wheel and I can't get the "yellow thing" to work.  Also, the Dunlop Trailmax Missions are STIFFFFFF!!!!  

I may have to try the Rougaru approach.  

1 hour ago, Twisties said:

the Dunlop Trailmax Missions are STIFFFFFF!!!!  

Sun is your friend in this instance ;) I stick the new tyres in the sun before fitting them. Some people, especially in colder climates, even get themselves a tyre warmer to make it easier to fit.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 3

I like leaving the tire(s), in my suv during a got sunny day, and the go to a friend's after work to change them. Park with the back facing South.

• 2 weeks later...
rounder jim

Changing tires in northern Illinois during the winter has always been tough.So I use the oven.Nobody else puts them in the oven? The house only smells like rubber for alittle while and the smoke alarm has never gone off. I kind of like the smell. Reminds me of the drag strip

• Smile 1