IGNORED

R1150RT Brakes, Pads, Lines, Flush.... Question?

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

I am going through the whole brake system, lines, pads and fluid. Researched it enough to

feel comfortable with the job, but if you have suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Question, do I need to remove caliper and pads, compress pistons and put in spacer to bleed the system?  

Question: Tips, Tricks, Common Mistakes? I did spend the big bucks for the ABS fluid funnel. 

Note went with Galfer Brake line kit. My lines did not look bad. They are 19 yrs old, no ballooning, but the left front caliper short hose looks wet? It is a pain to bleed brakes and ABS; don't want contamination from deteriorating lines or leaks or worse a burst. Seems like cheap insurance for safety.

I have the instructions for the ABS and the correct sequence if you need them.  The file is a bit too large to post here.  If you need them send me a dm with your email address.

On 4/7/2023 at 6:41 PM, gmcjetpilot said:

I am going through the whole brake system, lines, pads and fluid. Researched it enough to

Question, do I need to remove caliper and pads, compress pistons and put in spacer to bleed the system?  

Question: Tips, Tricks, Common Mistakes? I did spend the big bucks for the ABS fluid funnel. 

Note went with Galfer Brake line kit. My lines did not look bad. They are 19 yrs old, no ballooning, but the left front caliper short hose looks wet? It is a pain to bleed brakes and ABS; don't want contamination from deteriorating lines or leaks or worse a burst. Seems like cheap insurance for safety.

Morning  gmcjetpilot

You usually can't tell much about the brake hoses unless you cut them apart then look at the insides. The inner liner usually starts to degrade well before the outside starts looking bad. 

With your motorcycle sitting for a long time then personally I would shim the front brake pads back (just pry back away from the rotors then shim back during the brake bleeding). This not only decreases the cavity behind the pistons to help old evacuation  but more importantly it allows topping the ABS module  reservoir off properly. If you fill the reservoir with worn front brake pads that are not shimmed back then you can overfill the reservoir after the bleeding. Not a big deal UNTIL you pry the brake pads back at next front wheel removal as an overfilled reservoir can push the extra fluid out through the ABS module venting system.      

• Thanks 1
On 4/7/2023 at 6:41 PM, gmcjetpilot said:

Good decision on the new brake lines. I went with Spiegler on my '04 RT. My original lines looked fine until I replaced them. Closer inspection revealed some very small hairline cracks. Age and mileage has to be dealt with eventually.

I also had a 2002 RT in my shop with a leaking left front hose. The rubber was actually split and allowing the fluid to escape every time the brake lever was activated. It wasn't hard to convince the client that new lines were in order. :)

gmcjetpilot

Thank you all. I have assembled all the required supplies and tools, tubes, and stuff to do a bang up job (or make a mess). Ha ha.  Waiting for the lines to arrive. Once that is done, tank back on with new pump, filters, lines (old fuel pump was locked up). Fingers crossed start the bike for first time in a long time.... 

dirtrider... Thanks I like to know why. Makes sense.