IGNORED

Final drive drain plug metal bits

RT1150Ted

Hello All;

I am curious what others might have on their magnetic drain plugs from final drive.

R1150RT 2004

new to me 2018.. had Crown bearing replaced on first service (shout out to seller that knew) on my first final drive drain/oil change (3000 miles) I have found this.

411C4D2F-8613-4781-BB9D-89FD551FE354.jpeg

56A5A4DA-EBD3-49B2-A76B-083DB256179A.jpeg

I was expecting very fine metal “sludge” on magnet but after brake cleaner cleanse there are very thin metallic bits.

looks like the chrome bearing skin.

Opinions welcome.

Ted

15 minutes ago, RT1150Ted said:

I was expecting very fine metal “sludge” on magnet but after brake cleaner cleanse there are very thin metallic bits.

looks like the chrome bearing skin.

Opinions welcome.

Ted

AFternoon Ted

Are they sharp to the feel between your finger & thumb? If so then possibly bits of the bearing ball-separator race. 

They are very thin… not enough material to feel sharp…. Like gold leaf… if that makes sense.

The Final drive is off the swing arm and the rotation feel is very smooth and no play that I can determine…

Ted

32 minutes ago, RT1150Ted said:

They are very thin… not enough material to feel sharp…. Like gold leaf… if that makes sense.

The Final drive is off the swing arm and the rotation feel is very smooth and no play that I can determine…

Ted

Evening Ted

If they don't feel sharp then probably just clean the magnet, re-fill with gear oil, then run it another 2000 miles, then drain it again.

Catch the drain oil in a very clean pan then strain it through a paper towel. Then see what the magnet & the paper towel catch. 

If you have drive problems then it should show up in 2000 miles.  

Thank again Dirt Rider!

I am really surprised since the crown bearing was replaced right when I first got the bike.

will service and check it again then.

Thank you

45 minutes ago, RT1150Ted said:

Thank again Dirt Rider!

I am really surprised since the crown bearing was replaced right when I first got the bike.

will service and check it again then.

Thank you

Evening Ted

OK, that might explain it, as it is very difficult to get ALL the little pieces of crown bearing separator out of the drive when replacing the bearing so you might just be finding a few remaining particles that were missed.