IGNORED

Engine won't start occasionally.

Kim Stevenson

Kim Stevenson

Hello all.

"95 R1100RT. 196,000 K's

Hopped on to go for a ride the other day.  Engine wouldn't start.  Fuel pump runs then stops as pressure build's up.  Checked for spark with a known good plug.  No spark.  Cursed and walked away.

A few days later pushed bike to workshop, removed both plugs and checked for spark again.  This time spark at both plugs although not very strong.  Reinstalled plugs, engine starts and runs normally. 

Engine performed normally on a short ride.  Some months back while riding, tacho dropped to zero for an hour or so with no effect on engine performance and then came back after a stop for fuel.

Any suggestions ?

Kim Stevenson

If the HES is original I'd replace it or have it rewired. They all fail eventually, with symptoms similar to yours.

2 hours ago, Kim Stevenson said:

Hello all.

"95 R1100RT. 196,000 K's

Hopped on to go for a ride the other day.  Engine wouldn't start.  Fuel pump runs then stops as pressure build's up.  Checked for spark with a known good plug.  No spark.  Cursed and walked away.

A few days later pushed bike to workshop, removed both plugs and checked for spark again.  This time spark at both plugs although not very strong.  Reinstalled plugs, engine starts and runs normally. 

Engine performed normally on a short ride.  Some months back while riding, tacho dropped to zero for an hour or so with no effect on engine performance and then came back after a stop for fuel.

Any suggestions ?

Kim Stevenson

Morning Kim

Was that motorcycle washed, or ridden in the rain, or allowed to sit outside in the moisture for a few days just prior to the no-start condition? If so the do suspect that your HES wiring pigtail has compromised wire insulation. 

If the fuel pump ran for a couple of seconds then I presume that you had the side stand up during your spark test? 

Kim Stevenson

Thanks for your reply dirtrider.

The bike lives in a dry garage and hadn't been ridden for a month or so due high summer temps.

Bike was up on the centre stand with the side stand up.

I replaced the wiring on the HES about 2 years ago but I reckon that's where I'll head as soon as I get it through its annual registration inspection.

Cheers.

Kim