IGNORED

R1200GS 2014 Shaft seal placement

Alba

Quick question, I replaced my shaft seal this evening and before I installed the new one I noticed there was a fair bit of oil 'dripping', is this normal?

Yes, it's an oil bath roller bearing on the "small" side of the final drive. (The other side is the "big" bearing, but it's a ball bearing)

The oil level needs to be above the level of the open roller bearings to ensure that it always has a supply of lubricant...once you install the new seal, that should stop any dripping/leaking if done correctly.

180ml of the Final Drive oil is about 6 fl oz. so, inside the FD, it should be about 1/4 to 1/3 full...not up to the fill plug by any means, but well above the open roller bearing.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to have a leak from the shaft seal (#4) so I have done something wrong.

When fitting the new seal I followed a video that when you initially put the seal in you use the outer plastic cover (#5) to tap in the seal.  There continued to be a leak, noticed post ride out.  So I used a drift to tap in the seal and it did indeed go into the hub.  Again leak post ride out.

I have ordered a new seal.

Any guidance on how I should install it?  Do only use the out seal cover (#5) or do I tap it in further?

FinalDrive.jpg

3 hours ago, Alba said:

I continue to have a leak from the shaft seal (#4) so I have done something wrong.

When fitting the new seal I followed a video that when you initially put the seal in you use the outer plastic cover (#5) to tap in the seal.  There continued to be a leak, noticed post ride out.  So I used a drift to tap in the seal and it did indeed go into the hub.  Again leak post ride out.

I have ordered a new seal.

Any guidance on how I should install it?  Do only use the out seal cover (#5) or do I tap it in further?

Afternoon Alba

First thing, make sure that you haven't overfilled the final drive.

Then next, make sure the vent isn't plugged, a plugged vent will over-pressurize the drive cavity. 

Next, make sure that the spool (center axle) doesn't have excess play (use the wheel to see if you have excess movement).

As for the seal driver, I have an old automotive seal driver that just fits nicely.  

You can probably trim the rubber lip off the old seal then flip it over & use that for seal driver. (I haven't tried that yet but it looks like it should work) 

Cheers dirtrider, is the vent plug #7 in the diagram?

I was accurate refilling the FD so i'm sure it's not over filled, I've checked the spool for play and it's solid.

So, i'll check the vent then use the old seal to seat the new seal which i did not do the first time so potential some contamination has got in causing the leak.

What's your thoughts on using a gasket sealer?

thanks again

22 minutes ago, Alba said:

Cheers dirtrider, is the vent plug #7 in the diagram?

I was accurate refilling the FD so i'm sure it's not over filled, I've checked the spool for play and it's solid.

So, i'll check the vent then use the old seal to seat the new seal which i did not do the first time so potential some contamination has got in causing the leak.

What's your thoughts on using a gasket sealer?

thanks again

Afternoon Alba

Yes, number 7.

Personally, I don't like using gasket sealer unless it is specified in the manual. 

Where was it leaking, ID or OD? 

11 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Alba

Yes, number 7.

Personally, I don't like using gasket sealer unless it is specified in the manual. 

Where was it leaking, ID or OD? 

Cheers for clarifying the vent plu.

The leak appears to be OD

The leak is only post ride out, this morning checked for any leak, nothing ...

Double checked for shaft play and it's solid