IGNORED

MotoGP 2023

Skywagon

Anybody going to GP in Austin?  I’ll be there April 13-16. 

This year looks like Ducati is going to win a lot with their significant speed advantage followed by KTM. Yamaha and Honda have failed to add any grunt to their engines now 3 years in a row. Even though they have top riders they just aren’t very competitive.  

Stop by if you come. Grandstands turn 15 section 15 row 14

The resurgence of Morbidelli was quite interesting ... and he was able to mostly hold his own on the straight  .  Fabio had a disappointing start but managed to finish 9th.  Zarco was amazing at the end.

With Marquez out with minor injury but also importantly most likely a little "gun shy" to be aggressive in the next race or two... so unless Honda ups its game and Marc can get away and lead at the start and hold it ... top 5 maybe would be a potential goal.

Will Fabio regain old form , will Rins be the new hope of Honda,  how much will the Sprint points change the championship ....  it will be an interesting season.

All good points Chris.  I do believe Marc will be gun shy, but at COTA this month he may give it his all.  He has won so many there he is considered the king of COTA.  If he gets out front, he will be hard to catch.  Zarco is interesting.  Coast along for a good bit then turns it on.....frequently.  I think Fabio is among the best talent, but his bike just can't pace with Ducati.  If there were no straight aways and the entire track was curves, Fabio would win every time; but as soon as there is a straightaway of any distance, the Duc boys just wave bye bye.

If you need a genuine souvenir from COTA let me know.  I can tell you their prices are crazy though e.g. Rossi gear cost way more at COTA than it does at his website.  A cap is like $65.

Marquez to miss COTA ... thumb still healing ...return to racing as of now ... TBD

EDIT:  Bastianini also out

• 5 months later...

Well looks like Marquez is moving to Ducati.  I can't blame him.  Honda and Yamaha have really blown the last couple of years with pretty much everybody blowing them out with horsepower. 

If Yamaha doesn't' move to a V4 they might as well hang it up.

Fabio is probably one the top 3 riders, but he can't compete with the V4's.

Honda Racing Corporation and Marc Marquez to end collaboration early by mutual agreement

V4 vs Inline 4.

3 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Well looks like Marquez is moving to Ducati

Although its been a widely discussed possibility ... its still a shocker to see him actually move.  But it will be to arguably the best bike on track for now. Although its interesting that Morbidelli beat him to the factory seat at Pramac ... so even a year old non-factory Ducati is better than Honda

Another move is Rins from Honda to Yamaha ... maybe shows just how bad / lacking innovation  Honda has been ...  but then again ... Zarco is moving to Honda but I think that's more a lack of Pramac's commitment to him than loving Honda.

I think Rinsnis moving from not good to worse. I’ve been a Yamaha follower for years cuz of Rossi and Fabio looked like he was going to own GP. Vinales was no turd either, but yamaha just doesn’t want to make a change to get the required HP to deal with everyone else. Paco, Martin, and a couple of others are going to dominate until Honda and Yamaha step up. 

I'd really like to see Marquez beat Rossi's record titles, but I honestly don't think he's championship competitive anymore, after so many accidents. Even if he recovers 99%, that top 1% makes all the difference in the world. I think the new Marquez is Jorge Martin, who rides similarly aggressively (not exactly the best approach IMO), if not more. He now scrapes his shoulder, topping Marquez's elbow. Crazy dudes. Ha ha. But will be interesting to watch him on a Ducati. He'll be more competitive for sure, but really doubt he'll win another championship. Hope I'm wrong, since I'd like him to take the record from Rossi.