IGNORED

KLIM Raptor GTX Overshell Jacket and Pants Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

KLIM Raptor Jacket and Pants Review intro

The KLIM Raptor GTX Overshell jacket and pants designs go back to when riders wore KLIM Valdez snowmobile shells over off-road motorcycle padding. This newly designed Raptor GTX Overshell system has a strong pedigree and can be worn with or without an off-road padding system, depending on the riding conditions. I chose the KLIM Tactical shirt and pants, but any armored base layer will work.

KLIM specifically designed the Raptor GTX Overshell system for aggressive dual-sport riding and adventure travel. The system is loose-fitting to leave room for armor and movement so you never feel restricted by the gear. As we’ve come to expect from KLIM, construction is top-notch. The three-layer GORE-TEX performance shell kept me completely dry when riding through a rainstorm, and the SUPERFABRIC on the shoulders, elbow, and knees is strategically placed in the event of a get-off. The adjustable cinch collar is a great feature. It’s easily tightened and loosened with your left hand while riding, using a smartly engineered locking mechanism. It was easy to cinch up the collar in the rain, and then loosen it after the bad weather passed.

Klim Raptor Suit Review jacket

The Raptor GTX has impressive ventilation. The combination of six ventilation zippers and the collar holdbacks ensures plenty of airflow through the jacket. The jacket does not have armpit zippers, which I am a big fan of, but that wasn’t a problem as the bicep vents directed air into the sleeves, through the armpits, and out the back. There is a thigh vent on the front and back of each leg, but to truly get the ventilation flowing through the pants when riding on-road, I found myself needing to stand up on occasion. But again, this gear is designed for more aggressive riding.

The KLIM Tactical pants and shirt are a great compliment to the Raptor GTX. No matter what type of riding I’ve thrown at the gear, the compression fit armored base layer kept the padding where it needed to be at all times. During a recent ride with temperatures in the low 90°Fs, the perforated PORON XRD articulated padding combined with the mesh pad pockets made for great airflow. I had no hot spots where the pads rested. Add in the KLIMATEK cooling main fabric construction, and I never felt overheated.

Klim Raptor Suit Review vents

The Raptor GTX jacket has two internal and two external pockets for storage, and I found the two thigh pockets on the pants much larger than other gear I’ve worn.

Raptor GTX gear is specifically designed and sized to wear over armor. According to KLIM, if you normally wear a Large, order a Large. I found their sizing to be spot on as it had room to spare while wearing the KLIM Tactical shirt and pants as a base layer. If you are an adventure tourer, there’s more than enough room to layer under this gear to enable you to use it for four-season riding, especially with the shell construction cutting out the wind.

The Raptor GTX is available in two colors and comes in a variety of sizes. The Tactical Base Layer comes in two colors and a large range of sizes. Additionally, don’t forget to check out KLIM’s five-year accident protection guarantee.

KLIM.com

MSRP:

Jacket—$649.99 | Pants | Pants—$549.99 | Base Layer Shirt—$249.99 | Base Layer Pants—$159.99

PROS:

• Impressive quality, durability, and construction
  • Excellent fit and ventilation
  • Base layer stays in place to ensure proper protection at all times

CONS:

• Some may see the price point as high

View the full article