IGNORED

"Mushroom-ectomy" on 23 RT

RT_Jim

With my new 23 R1250RT, there was a satellite radio antenna "mushroom" mounted right behind the TFT display - right where I wanted to mount my GPS. So after researching many posts on many different boards, I decided to tackle the job over the weekend. The process involves removing many parts of the front of the bike but I was finally able to get the mushroom removed and install a GPS mount (along with an RFI blocking panel which is absolutely necessary!). 

Now, if the weather will cooperate I am finally fully ready to get out and put some miles on this machine!

Jim

2023-03-25 18.30.23.jpg

2023-04-01 16.42.09.jpg

2023-04-01 16.41.44.jpg

• Like 3

I went with the Wunderlich Navigator Attachment Bracket (a universal solution). Mount 

You'll also need this bracket for the GPS to connect to: GPS Holder

I looked at the FMS solution but didn't like the idea of drilling holes into the nose. But I did get the FMS RFI Shield

Haven't had the bike on the road to fully test it but it looks solid and is exactly where I wanted it. 

• Like 1
On 4/6/2023 at 8:12 AM, MachineJoe said:

I hope you got some miles on

If Mother Nature would ever stop pounding us with rain, I'd get the bike out but so far, I haven't had much luck. Soon!  Then we can get the wives together for another ice cream run. ;-)

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a great location for the gps! Did you re-locate the mushroom? or just ditch it. My bike has the tubular handlebar option, so I'm looking at the gps bracket that puts the gps above the key.

It's a GS part that fits, however, Touratech's website  states that it won't fit with taller risers, yet they sell longer bolts for use with taller risers.?

Allen - 

I did not relocate the mushroom - I don't subscribe to satellite radio so removing it was an easy decision. I do read about people getting "generic" pucks on Amazon and putting them under the rear seat. 

GPS location is almost as strong a debate as oil... everyone has their preferences. Personally, I like this position so I don't have to take my eyes off the road as much and it doesn't block any of the TFT display. 

Good luck! 

Jim

• Like 1

What kind of room is there under where the mushroom was mounted? Plenty of room for those bolts holding the GPS mount? Every nook and cranny on my 22 is full to the rim. I carry 4 soft ties behind my passenger seat in the cubbyhole beneath the topbox for emergency tie downs. The inn is now officially full. 

16 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

What kind of room is there under where the mushroom was mounted? Plenty of room for those bolts holding the GPS mount? Every nook and cranny on my 22 is full to the rim. I carry 4 soft ties behind my passenger seat in the cubbyhole beneath the topbox for emergency tie downs. The inn is now officially full. 

There is actually a decent amount of room under the nose, although I did not use bolts to hold the GPS mount. I have an aversion to putting holes in my bike, if possible. The Wunderlich GPS mount has the entire bottom made of adhesive pad that just sticks to the bike. Works perfectly.... so far. 

• Like 2