IGNORED

JASO oil K27?

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

Have a 2013 R1200R but it’s the K27.

I thought I was getting a multi plate wet clutch bike but apparently that was later in 2013 or something. Still have a dry clutch in this bike. Hopefully it’s their best design.

but since it’s a dry clutch, I’m curious why my mini manual still recommends the JASO oil? Had me confused thinking I had a wet clutch bike. 

That’s not necessary since it’s a dry clutch right? Should still be able to use my regular Mobil 1 15-50 right? 
Or is it recommended to use JASO oil because it’s some how just mo betta regardless of there not being a wet clutch?

I gotta get a proper manual not this under the seat special. 

2 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

Have a 2013 R1200R but it’s the K27.

I thought I was getting a multi plate wet clutch bike but apparently that was later in 2013 or something. Still have a dry clutch in this bike. Hopefully it’s their best design.

but since it’s a dry clutch, I’m curious why my mini manual still recommends the JASO oil? Had me confused thinking I had a wet clutch bike. 

That’s not necessary since it’s a dry clutch right? Should still be able to use my regular Mobil 1 15-50 right? 
Or is it recommended to use JASO oil because it’s some how just mo betta regardless of there not being a wet clutch?

I gotta get a proper manual not this under the seat special. 

Morning  Hadabadachada

Your motorcycle does have a dry clutch so that part doesn't require an MA-2 motor oil but it does have a catalytic converter & a couple of o2 sensors.   For that reason BMW specifies a more emission friendly oil. I think the first year camhead manual did spec an SG oil as one of the alternatives  (that has lots or ZDDP in it) 

A lot of riders use the Mobil 1 without issues. BMW doesn't specifically spec using a 15w50 oil but they do spec using a 15w40 or 10w50  so reading between the lines says a 15wXX is OK & an XXw50 is Ok so 15w50 should work just fine.

The thing to remember with BMW is they are masters of specifying oils that are difficult to source over the counter at an auto parts store so it is an underhanded way of trying to force riders to use their (expensive) supplied oil.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes I think the manuals are created by a clerk that is too quick to copy/paste from  the manuals of similar bikes.  The 2012 R1200R is the same bike as the 2013 and that manual does not mention a JASO spec:

image.png.0b322431280d8b74ca42c03ab0bcc2d7.png

Using SAE 15W-50, API SJ / JASO MA2 won't hurt anything, but it's no better for your bike than an oil without the MA spec.

• Thanks 1
Hadabadachada

Good to know, I’ve been a fan of Mobil 15-50 for awhile. 
it gets mighty hot down here in the bell end of the wang.

And I’m assuming synthetic is fine on a bike with 4000 miles? 
i know everyone has their different opinion as far as like break in periods and things like that. 
I wonder if the bikes come with synthetic from the factory now.

My 2012 RT runs Mobil One 15w/50. My dealer recommended using castrol 20w/50 during the breaking in period.  I monitored the oil level constantly during the early breaking in period since I've noticed blue smoke mostly on start up. Once the oil consumption leveled off I ran the the same oil a bit longer to play it safe. I recall somewhere around 20,000 miles. Then I switched over to Mobil One 15w/50. Still use it and change the oil every 6,000 miles. I now have 102,600 miles and my oil consumption is the same as it was after breaking in or very close to it. My estimation is about 500ml between oil changes. All my riding is highway in hot South Florida weather. I plan on sending an oil sample for the first time at the next oil change. I contribute the low oil consumption partly to Mobil One with high zinc levels to minimize wear. You can read about it on their website. The rest was just good luck on my part. I've used the same oil on my previous vehicle, a 1997 BMW 3 series. Got excellent feedback on the oil analysis on that one. Had that car over 16 years with 325,610 miles. Bottom line is you shouldn't go wrong using Mobil One 15w/50. 

• Thanks 1
Hadabadachada

Good to hear. Wonder why they’d recommend such a high viscosity for break in. Maybe just because Miami. It’s already ridiculously hot down here and it’s only April. 

how long does the break in period last? Reading through that manual, it went up to like 3000 miles as far as, “don’t go above this RPM and don’t do that” 

you’re making me want to run dinosaur 20-50 for the first 15k or so before going to the Mobil 1. 

im assuming they did the 600 mile service on this bike tho I don’t know. Oil looks pretty new through the sight glass. And now that i just took it passed 3600 miles, I want to change the oil, it’s a fresh start for me with this bike, why not change the fluids.
I typically change my oil every 3000 miles anyway so it’s time based on that.

dealer said they did the things, brake fluid, oil, but we can never be too sure. I’d side on, they probably didn’t more times than not, here in south Florida. 

There is a breaking in procedure.  Basically it's a rpm limitation and it steps up after certain miles on the odometer. I had a cheat sheet made up with the numbers and followed it religiously. Ran the 20w/50 castrol from the first oil change. Worked out great for me. If you want to change your oil go ahead. It's your choice. My dealer gave me great advice on oil and breaking in.  It worked for me.