IGNORED

First service diy or dealership?

GBeWinginIt

BMW MOA members please support Board of Director election candidates who will actively and overtly support your Right to Repair. Information is available on the MOA's 2023 Election Discussion Forum.

Right to Repair BoD.jpg

1 hour ago, RadioFlyer said:

BMW MOA members please support Board of Director election candidates who will actively and overtly support your Right to Repair.

I believe your message has been received ... no need to post it multiple times.

Thanks ...

3 hours ago, chrisolson said:

I believe your message has been received ... no need to post it multiple times.

Thanks ...

Not everyone reads all threads.

It is a subject of importance to all BMW motorcycle owners.

25 minutes ago, RadioFlyer said:

It is a subject of importance to all BMW motorcycle owners.

Not disputing the importance but staff has received two complaints from members ... this is a Management request not to post this specific item in multiple locations.  If you want to put your message in your signature line in normal sized font ... please do.

• Like 1

Responding to the OP, I am a nut when it comes to doing things by the book. If I'm going to spend the $$ on a luxury item like a BMW motorcycle, I'm going to have the service performed at an authorized dealer. I'm not saying it has to be done for the entire ownership experience but feel that it's important to establish a high degree of provenance at the outset when the bike is new. 

Over time, I feel it's okay to do your own routine maintenance as long as it's recorded and supported with material receipts. 

Just my .02 worth.

• Like 3
Joe Frickin' Friday

For my ‘09 1200RT, I paid the dealer to do the 600-mile service.  I could have done it myself - I’ve had heads, pistons, and gearbox input shafts apart on my ‘99 1100RT - but I wanted that first service to be well-documented for warranty purposes.  I’ve done all the subsequent 6K/12K services myself (except for recalls).  I kept receipts/records,  but only until the warranty expired.  After that, no records.  The bike is now 14 years old, so any buyer should know that it would not have survived this far without proper maintenance.

• Like 1

I got them to throw in 600 mile check after final negotiation on price. I wouldn’t sign until they did. I paid dealer for 6k, 12k, and 18k with each service costing more and less quality than the time before. I did the 24 and 30k. I document everything for records but more for me knowing how long it will last. I buggered a small screw on the muffler shroud last week. I ordered a new one and created a record. I printed out the BMW maintenance check list and mark and date/mileage for all maintenance. 

• Like 1

I also find dealer maintenance work quality getting worse...... So much so that I quit using them years ago. Recently purchased Ducati was dealer maintained. What this meant was that I found all sorts of broken and/or missing fasteners when I did a full service after purchase. I mean how hard is it to replace the correct fasteners in their proper spots? If you lose one,(or 4) does not your parts dept have spares in stock???? Pathetic. Most of these "mechanics" should be working on cars or flipping burgers IMO.

600 mile service at the dealer for warranty....then my lift with records 'till the warranty expires.

It’s a really sucky feeling when you realize you’re a better mechanic than the one you’re paying for! :facepalm:

• Like 2

It's because of the poor work done by the dealer is why I learned out to work on my own bike.  The other great thing about knowing how to work on your bike is when you or someone else has issues, you can help and may save a trip (your vacation).

• Like 1