IGNORED

FD R1200GS 2014 Whine

Alba

My wife and I were out for a ride today (two up) and an hour into the ride I was aware of a whine from the rear of the bike when I was taking a corner, no noise when the bike was upright. I stopped and looked at the FD and there was a slight oil leak from the plastic cap.  Would this slight leak cause the noise when the bike is leaned over?

I have a 3K bike trip coming up next month so I'm concerned about the noise more than the oil leak.

Any thoughts?

Part 7?  Was the final drive oil changed recently?  If so it could be overfilled.  BMW changed the spec on that to 180ml.  I don't think a leak or gear oil issue would cause a whine when leaned over.  Tires will tend to do that when loaded.  Hopefully someone will come along that will have a better answer.

FinalDrive.jpg

The plastic cap I refer to is part 5, I will be replacing part 4.  I have recently put on a set of Dunlop's so loaded leaned over makes perfect sense as there is no movement in the rear wheel when I pull it or place a hand top and bottom and try force the wheel back and forth i.e. the FD seems solid.

This forum is so informative, many thanks