IGNORED

Aftermarket valve covers ( cylinder head covers? cam covers?) - the cheap ones on ebay and aliexpress

pwillikers

Vehicle: 2011 BMW R1200RT (Model: K26, 0440)

The previous owner had a driveway tip over that mangled one of the valve covers.  Does anyone have first hand experience with the inexpensive aftermarket valve covers being sold on eBay and aliexpress?   If yes, please comment on fit, finish and durability.

And, I am quite surprised at the variety of products being sold for the RT on aliexpress:  clutch plate?, fuel pump controller?, anyone?

I have had good luck filling deep scratches and buggered valve covers with products like JB weld.  The epoxy takes paint well and OEM parts always have that good quality of fit.  Funny that I see more than a few bikes with protectors fitted after the mishap.  That is how my 04 came to me.  

I replaced one when I bought my 2011. It was OEM used on flea-bay. My .02, I wouldn't use aftermarket stuff from china...YMMV

Reporting back as promised.   Already?

Yesterday I was in the garage mixing up some JB Weld for another project when I eyeballed the offensive valve cover and, remembering Mike279's recommendation, thought, why not?  I can mess this one to my heart's content.  I have a new one coming. 

So I cleaned the valve cover with some solvent, blobbed JB Weld in the gouges and left it over night.  This morning I sanded (220 then 320 the 600) and painted it with some rattle can I had on the shelf.  JB Weld sands quite easily.  I did the whole thing without removing the valve cover from the bike.

I wish I had taken a decent before pic but alas I decided to document the process a bit late.  I did find a before pic from the archives but it's from an angle, far away and had to be cropped and resized so it doesn't realistically show the damage.  In any case,  I'm very pleased with the outcome; thank you Mike279 for the recommendation and encouragement.  The paint I used is an absolutely perfect match, perfect.  The attached pictures are obviously in reverse chronological order.   And, I cancelled the order for the new valve cover.  :-)

The proof is in the pudding as my mother used to say. 

IMG_20230402_173953.jpg

IMG_20230402_153624.jpg

IMG_20230402_153430.jpg

IMG_20230402_092008.jpg

IMG_20230401_182818.jpg

RT Cylinder head.jpg

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1