IGNORED

Fuel Tank Filler Neck Inside Tank is Crusty, How to Clean Up and Refinish?

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

While I have my 2004 R1150RT  torn apart I want to fix the fuel tank filler neck which is crusty. I recall it can be removed. I can use chemicals, wire brush, Scotch-Brite abrasive pad to clean it  up... However how do I refinish it. Guessing Cadmium plated before, but after 19 yrs, fuel nozzle scratching fuel filler neck bare metal it is getting corroded and growing. It is not red/brown rust but white oxidization. It is more cosmetic and can't see it obviously unless fuel cap if flipped open.  I am likely going to remove the whole tank to fix a likely fuel pump issue. 

The oxidized corroded finish is not hurting too much it just looks like heck.  Suggestions how to make it look pretty with a durable finish? 

16 minutes ago, gmcjetpilot said:

While I have my 2004 R1150RT  torn apart I want to fix the fuel tank filler neck which is crusty. I recall it can be removed. I can use chemicals, wire brush, Scotch-Brite abrasive pad to clean it  up... However how do I refinish it. Guessing Cadmium plated before, but after 19 yrs, fuel nozzle scratching fuel filler neck bare metal it is getting corroded and growing. It is not red/brown rust but white oxidization. It is more cosmetic and can't see it obviously unless fuel cap if flipped open.  I am likely going to remove the whole tank to fix a likely fuel pump issue. 

The oxidized corroded finish is not hurting too much it just looks like heck.  Suggestions how to make it look pretty with a durable finish? 

Afternoon  gmcjetpilot

Not a lot you can do with it as once you remove the plating it will re-corroded pretty darn quick.

You could probably send it out for re-coating but a good used from E-Bay is probably easier & cheaper. (just get lot of pictures if buying from E-Bay, ask for additional if needed)

I’m not sure what the metal is made of or if this will work. I would clean it up and spray with zinc chromate. It works wonders on corrosion prevention on aluminum. I use it on aircraft and marine salt water environment. Last can I got was on Amazon. Pretty toxic so if you go that route, read the instructions. If in submerged gasoline, not sure it will work. One light coat is all you need.