IGNORED

Anybody with direct knowledge on a deceased, credit card, debt, and debt forgiveness?

KDeline

Need someone with first-hand knowledge on how credit card debt is handled after the death of the owner of the account. I’ve been told that there is a form of life insurance policy and that the debt is forgiven? If that is the case, what about a authorized user of the credit card with their name on a separate card but the owner is the one that is deceased? Will the authorized user’s credit score be affected? I probably made those questions clear as mud……

Don't know what you are asking!  Is the person your spouse or the spouse of someone?  Is the person a child who had yet to reach the age of majority that is under your home?  Did they have a Will? Using the credit card of a deceased person is not legal, so please don't do that. The unknowns are making this question, as posted, difficult to respond to, more facts would help. But in the meantime don't use any credit cards or any checking accounts etc. 

The deceased is my wife, there is a will, credit cards no longer being used, and with what I’m finding out calling the CC Companies the estate will still owe on the card.

• Sad 1

Yes her estate is liable for ALL bills related to her.
If there is no estate, or there is not enough estate value to cover all the bills then the executor will create a payment schedule/plan.  Some debt maybe be secured (CC debt is not secured)

If anyone (husband) is listed as an authorized user then YES the authorized user is also responsible for the debt
If the authorized user has their own CC and debt history cancelling the deceased CC and closing accounts will usually not have a huge impact on a Credit score

It might be different from state to state.  Here in CA when my father passed away I had to payoff / close out his accounts and bills since I was the sole beneficiary of his estate.  I also had to file taxes on his behalf for his partial final year.

Motorhead1977

My condolences on the passing of your wife.  Yes, as indicated do not use the CC account.  Rather than just accept what the CC company tells you I suggest you speak with an estate lawyer (of which I am not one)  to get the advice specific to your situation.  It will be worth the discussion to be certain you are acting accordingly.

When my mom died in Louisiana, her debt died with her.  She had no "estate", so there was nothing to pay the debt with.  As the sons, we were not responsible for her debt, so it all got written off.

But as her husband, is the op responsible, especially as an authorized user of the card?

I don't see why not. I would think that all her debt is his debt as well. If divorced, that would be different.

RandyShields

Ken, as I mentioned earlier, I am so sad to hear that Kate passed.  When you and she came to ride events, I always enjoyed visiting with you both -- and very much enjoyed your mutual positive energy and Kate's sparkling smile.  She will be missed.  We grieve with you.  RIP Kate.

• Plus 1 1
  • Sad 2
On 3/31/2023 at 5:26 PM, RandyShields said:

Ken, as I mentioned earlier, I am so sad to hear that Kate passed.  When you and she came to ride events, I always enjoyed visiting with you both -- and very much enjoyed your mutual positive energy and Kate's sparkling smile.  She will be missed.  We grieve with you.  RIP Kate.

Thank you for the kind words.  Because of her life long illnesses she could never really engage with others like she wanted, that is why she seemed quiet and shy. Know that she enjoyed these events immensely and looked forward to each one we came to. She was my best friend and missed every minute. 

• Sad 4

We haven't seen each other since the 2015 BMWMOA Rally in Billings.  Very sad to see this news about Kate.  My condolences.

Take care. 

Mike

TheDelines.jpg.c63b48aaa3d95f87944221025333ed5b.jpg 

Although of minimal relevance,  in Canada credit card debt is the responsibility of the deceased individual's estate.  Which can result in some credit relief for the deceased individual's survivors. 

12 minutes ago, MikeRC said:

We haven't seen each other since the 2015 BMWMOA Rally in Billings.  Very sad to see this news about Kate.  My condolences.

Take care. 

Mike

TheDelines.jpg.c63b48aaa3d95f87944221025333ed5b.jpg 

Although of minimal relevance,  in Canada credit card debt is the responsibility of the deceased individual's estate.  Which can result in some credit relief for the deceased individual's survivors. 

Thank you for that picture, such happier times. Do you know when this photo was taken? Looks like we were at a Un and much younger......

2 hours ago, KDeline said:

Thank you for that picture, such happier times. Do you know when this photo was taken? Looks like we were at a Un and much younger......

You're  welcome Ken.  The picture was from the July 2008 UnRally supper in John Day, OR.  

Mike C

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 4/2/2023 at 9:59 AM, KDeline said:

Thank you for the kind words.  Because of her life long illnesses she could never really engage with others like she wanted, that is why she seemed quiet and shy. Know that she enjoyed these events immensely and looked forward to each one we came to. She was my best friend and missed every minute.

Ken, terribly sorry to hear of Kate’s passing.  I saw a lot of you two at Ron’s X-mas parties and at a bunch of BMWST events.  I still smile thinking about 2004 when Shawn and I were headed out to the Un in Cody, and we ran into the mother of all thunderstorms in South Dakota.  Just as the rain was starting to ease up a bit, we spotted you two on the side of the highway, with one of your bikes waylaid by a malfunctioning HES.  Quite a coincidence of timing.

I know she had some health issues, and I’m glad she got on the road (as a rider and as a passenger) as much as she did.  I’m sure I have a few pics of you and her I can share, but I can’t get to them right now.  I’ll share what I’ve got later this month.

Thank you, would enjoy receiving the pictures. I remember the stranding and the meet up very well and have fond memories of it. How I remember it was Kate and I were at a rest area getting ready for the storm and you two came riding up to put your rain gear on. We rode through the rain together and then my bike quit about 10 minutes after the sun came out. That was a weeklong fiasco dealing with Sturgis BMW, they had no idea what it was, I kept telling them I read about it, but they refuse to listen, and did a whole bunch of other crap, including a new computer, and none of it worked until they finally replaced the HES. Made it on one motorcycle to the unrally on the last day. Even missed the dinner. Continued on our trip for two weeks two up on her bike then picked up my bike on our way home.

Lone_RT_rider

Ken, I didn't see this thread (thanks Mitch) and just recently heard through the ATL grape vine.  My condolences my friend.  I have a few old pics, but this is what I found so far.  Big hugs my friend... I know words are never enough. :( 

Chi-town Xmas part at Raaaaaaaaaaan's 

Chi town xmas 2004 026.jpg

El Paeso Spring 2005

El Paeso fall 2005 027.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...