IGNORED

New Drive Shaft part # and price

Bernie

I found this info on the MOA forum and I have been told it is old news on the ADV forum.

BMW has replaced the original part # 33738531102 ($732.22) for the drive shaft for the WetHead and ShiftCam bikes with a new part # 33735A670C3 Prop Shaft for $219.10 plus taxes. I decided to buy one, since my bike has a little over 90K miles. Past history of HexHead RT's show that drive shafts have a habit of exploding between 80 and 120K miles. My local dealer had it in stock. You have to ask for it by part number, since the BMW parts fiche point to the old part number, and only after the dealer tries to order it, it should indicate that it no longer available. Then the parts person should get a notice that the drive shaft is replaced with this new part number.

Does it fit? It should, Does it look nice, yes. No rust. 

• Like 3

Wish K1600 drive shaft was $732.  It's $1400 and the guys who rebuild the driveshafts for the boxers can't get the ujoints for the K1600 shaft.  

11 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Wish K1600 drive shaft was $732.  It's $1400 and the guys who rebuild the driveshafts for the boxers can't get the ujoints for the K1600 shaft.  

When I bought my WetHead back inlet 2017, the driveshafts where around $1,500+. I figured to get one rebuilt and shipping will be more then $200.00. It's a good deal.

Checking a few German sites, they have the same part number, but all are on back order.

• Plus 1 1

Not sure if this would be true for a part like a drive shaft, but I had a side case lid that I didn’t get secured and it flopped open which I didn’t notice until the first curve in the road where I heard a scraping sound.  The top of the wedge shaped painted piece got rashed. While that part is removed with 3 screws I was shocked that it was almost a $650 part. Holy Cow…Wow!   It turned out that I could source that part out of Denmark for around $380 including duty and freight. Color match was perfect! Some of that huge difference was that the US dollar was at an all time high against the Euro, but still the US pricing was out of line with EU pricing. Shop far and wide!

19 hours ago, Bernie said:

I found this info on the MOA forum and I have been told it is old news on the ADV forum.

BMW has replaced the original part # 33738531102 ($732.22) for the drive shaft for the WetHead and ShiftCam bikes with a new part # 33735A670C3 Prop Shaft for $219.10 plus taxes. I decided to buy one, since my bike has a little over 90K miles. Past history of HexHead RT's show that drive shafts have a habit of exploding between 80 and 120K miles. My local dealer had it in stock. You have to ask for it by part number, since the BMW parts fiche point to the old part number, and only after the dealer tries to order it, it should indicate that it no longer available. Then the parts person should get a notice that the drive shaft is replaced with this new part number.

Does it fit? It should, Does it look nice, yes. No rust. 

I just wanted to ask is the phasing of you new DS knuckles as in the picture,  or are they phased in line with one another?

Thank you for having a look if you would.

37 minutes ago, Twisties said:

No I am not covered by the campaign. I have a RT and my dealer says that it’s not covered. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, LAF said:

I just wanted to ask is the phasing of you new DS knuckles as in the picture,  or are they phased in line with one another?

Thank you for having a look if you would.

I checked already, not because of the phasing, but I wanted to see if there are any markings on it. I also wanted to see if the snap ring is installed. But it’s painted beautiful black with no rust. 

It’s only RT-Ps that are covered by the service campaign (in addition to GS/GSAs, of course).

• Plus 1 1