IGNORED

Cee Bailey with Aeroflow Air Mgm't Kit?

maniscar

Hello,

Has anyone tried the Aerflow Air Management Kit with the Cee Bailey windshield? If so, how effective is it in reducing the buffetting?

I have the CB +2H, +3H w/s and experience buffetting on the helmet and arms at low and high speeds. It is less noisier than the stock w/s, but it's not quiet.

I don't know if it's the wind pattern or the buffetting hitting me, but I always feel like I'm riding close behind a large truck (handling wise).

Using strips of yarn attached to various spots on the w/s, I noticed "wild" patterns between the w/s and dash. Also on the 2 small side deflectors. This is true for different speeds and w/s settings. The stock w/s had much more smoother patterns.

I am thinking of trying the air mgmt kit first instead of upgrading to a larger CB (or the Aeroflow) windshield.

'05 R1200RT (5K miles) w/ESA and Metzler Z6. I'm 6'2", 30" inseam, so I sit tall in the saddle.

Thanks,

Rich

I have the Aeroflow with Air Management Kit and it is dead quiet behind it even though I look over it. If it weren't for tire and engine noise I could run without earplugs in my Nolan N100E.

If you get frustrated looking for quiet smooth protection go to the Aeroflow. thumbsup.gif

No affiliation.

Regards,

Carl

Exploreinman

I just installed the Aeroflow windshield(I'm 5'10" and got the medium) with air mangagement kit. I would rate the stock shield a 7 on a scale of 1-10 and the Aeroflow shield a 9.5. It completely knocks out helmet buffeting and gives me a super quiet pocket to ride within. If you want a quiet ride, it really delivers!

Stephen

Carl,

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to salvage the Cee Bailey cost, so I'm going to try the Air Mgm't kit first.

How tall are you and which size shield did you get? I believe part of my buffetting and wind noise problem might be my long upper body, which sits me high in the saddle.

Thanks,

Rich

It's very difficult and potentially very expensive to address wind noise/buffeting problems. Trouble is it affects most of us differently because of our size differences. One guys solution is probably no solution at all for you. I'm 6'3" with a 32" inseam so close to your size. I just use the stock screen and most of the time full low position gives the smoothest air. For more warmth I my put windshield to full high, but more buffeting is the result. I wear a Shuberth C2 flip helmet and custom fit earmold plugs all the time. A higher aftermarket screen may affect handling and gas mileage and still not improve the noise/buffeting much. crazy.gif

Rich,

It's also time consuming too. I agree that what works for one doesn't work for others. Others too have said the stock w/s is just fine, including the mechanics at my BMW dealer. Of course they are usually thin, short or at least sit low in the saddle.

Above 40mph, I have to blast the radio to hear it with the stock w/s. Forget listening to it on the highway. With the Cee Bailey I currently have, I can listen to it on the highways at 75mph. It's not the "cone of silence" but better, at least for me. However the buffetting is annoying. Like you said, a larger windshield would probably solve the problem, but affect handling and mpg. Hopefully, the Air Mgm't kit with the Cee Bailey will give me the best of both worlds.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I'm 6'0" with 32" inseam. I have the medium height AeroFlow. As to the handling issues, a lot of the dartyness in gusting crosswinds and truck turbulence went away with the AeroFlow. THAT was a pleasant and unexpected benefit. Where mileage is conserned, I am a somewhat aggressive rider and on my recient 900 mile trip to Western KY & Southern IN I averaged 48 MPG.

I'm Happy clap.gif

Regards,

Carl

As to the handling issues, a lot of the dartyness in gusting crosswinds and truck turbulence went away with the AeroFlow.

Thanks Carl. I am experiencing this now with the Cee Bailey, but it's less than the stock w/s. I normally feel like I'm behind a truck, even when no one is in front of me. Hopefully it will get resolved with the Air Mgm't kit. If not, next step is to get the Aeroflow w/s or come to the realization that he bike and I don't gel and sell it. That's a last resort though.

Rich

dan_forker

I don't know if this input helps or not, but I had an Aeroflow, medium height, with the Air Management kit and thought that I still got a lot of turbulance especially around the shoulders and didn't like the flexibility of the Aeroflow shield or it's appearance. I left the Air Management Kit on but changed to a CeeBailey 27.5 tall and 21.5 wide. I think it's great but I haven't experienced the Bailey shield without the kit. I really like the rigidity of the Bailey shield.

Dan Forker

Exploreinman

Carl,

I do experience less buffeting on the arms and shoulders. I agree that finding the right windshield is very personal depending on your body build and your wind pocket goals. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and 34" arm length.

Archived