IGNORED

Bike Seats

Skywagon

When I buy a new bike, within the first week I send the seat off to get a custom seat made.  The last few have been Russell and before that some Corbin seats when I lived close enough to drive in and have it made while I waited.  I usually buy another factory new seat so I can ride while my seat is being made and when I sell the bike I can sell the Russell separately.  I did that on my wethead.  I bought a new factory seat and had it delivered before I sent the original to Russell to build the custom seat.

Fast forward.  I was poking around in my garage and found that factory seat.  I decided yesterday to give it a whirl since my trip would be relatively short and broken up by 2 - 125mile segments.  About 10 miles from home I truly realized the error of my ways.  When I clicked off my first segment my backside was truly in pain and misery. I dreaded coming home. On the way home I had to stop a couple of times to ease the uncomfortable factory seat.

So....If you are miserable on your factory seat..Get an after market replacement.  There are many to choose from.  Your behind will thank you and your ride will be much more pleasant.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 2

My 2016 R1200RS came with what I had thought was a great seat About an hour an a half in ,I realized no one from the BMW factory actually rides a motorcycle .

I purchased a Sargent seat after having Corbins for more than 30 years . Absolutely fantastic seat.

• Like 2

A RDL seat has been on my "always want to get someday list" for a long while.  I went to the Sargent heated front and back seats when I bought the 2018 RT, partly due to cost (they were on sale, maybe 15% off, which was enough to pretend they were "cheap" and prod myself into the purchase), and partly due to the length of time it takes to get the RDL.  Figured if I road the 2018 enough (which I have not 😠😖), I'd get one over the next (which was last) winter.  We'll see about the future.  I've never really done a ride much over 4 hours, and thus far, the Sargent's I had have worked out OK.  

As far as BMW engineers not riding their product, vis-a-vis their seats, I think it's more a factor that they're designing to a wide audience.  I'm certain there are many riders who would just hate the RDL "tractor style" seat, particularly those who like to corner aggressively and shift in their seats.  Many Beemer riders love the bikes with the factor seats just as they are.  Plus, RDL's are individually made for the rider's personal physical characteristics, and no factory can make custom seats like that for mass production.  Sargent might be considered coming closest to that idea, since they do make a "one-size-fits-most" custom seat.   I think that BMW should consider contracting with an expert like Russell to help build software and a methodology where they can measure a rider at the dealer, and product a custom seat for their new bikes from those measurements.  It's not rocket science, but it may not be mass-production-feasible, either.  Plus, I believe that level of customization would go against the great of their Germanic tradition.  German's are more of a "one-size-fits-all" kind of people, not as communal orientated as the Japanese, but something along those lines.  Anyhow, be happy we have the options that we do! 

• Like 1

Had a corbin on the RT for well over 100k (came with a corbin, but I swapped for a low corbin, never had the stock rt seat), swapped for a sergeant.  Both were/are ok.  GSA has stock, and is the most comfortable of all, as was the stock seat on the HP4.

• Like 1
Brodiepunker18

I started with a Sargent on my RT, bought a stock seat to try and that was a big mistake…then sent out the seat to BMS last spring and I love that seat! 

I think BMW keeps cranking out poor seats because they look good and you can't tell they don't work looking at them or in a short test ride.  A proper fitting seat is less sleek.  They are wider and some have 'wings'.  Don't want that kind of stuff on a svelt motorcycle.

• Like 1

Once again a topic that is quite individual and personal and also bike specific. Motorcycle seats are different for every rider and bike.  I have had Sargent seats I love and some not so much.  I have had Corbin seats I liked and some not so much.  Today I have a Sargent on my '18 GS and on my 2016 RT with 46,000 miles I am running the stock seat that I believe is one of the better seats BMW has made.  But that is how it performs for ME.   The stock seat on the 2014 through current year RT is flatter and wider than the previous RT seat and have used it on 3 crossings of the US.   On my GS the stock "comfort" seat was just OK but the replacement Sargent is very good.  Not perfect but much better than stock.  In addition what is nice about Sargent is they use their seat pans and also will customize any seat to your specifications.  They are really nice guys and easy to work with.   Had a Rick Mayer seat on my 2002 GS and it was pretty good and better than stock.  Rick is no longer with us but I believe Sean Lamm seats are the Rick Mayer seat design. 

But I always suggest folks ride the bike for a few thousand miles before swapping seats and maybe like me on my RT you really don't need a replacement. 

• Like 2

The stock seat on my '04 RT was ok up to maybe 90 miles. Adding an Airhawk allowed me to do a 4500 mile trip with no issues. About 10 years ago, I switched to a Sargent. Much better in appearance, but only extended the pain factor to about 100 miles. Two years ago I sent the stock seat  to BMS and now I have what I wanted.

My butt and BMW OEM seats do not cohabitate. 7 BMWs and 5 RDLs. It is the most important thing on my new bike list. Expensive? Yep. Worth the hassle? Absolutely.   

$25k bike $1k seat. Seems about right.