IGNORED

R1200ST Queries

Leo Comarre

Leo Comarre
Hi!
Now had this '06 R1200ST for nearly four months, and finally starting to use it a bit more, without any important issues.
Mileage is pushing 100,000 kilometres and the bike runs beautifully.
There are a number of things I don't really know about, so I wonder if members can help.
1) Headlight adjustment
Low beam is too high, I am blinding oncoming traffic, but I have not yet found a way to adjust the twin H4 bulbs and reflector individually
2) I'm going to need a handlebar change, perhaps something on the line of the GS, but any ideas welcome. The clip-ons are making for an uncomfortable position for my 63 year old body.
3) Saddle height is to low for me in relation to the foot rests, knees uncomfortably compressed - bothersome on long trips.
4) Windshield replacement would be good, maybe a touring version, but I can't work out how manufacturers measure them height-wise, or if it would be good to add a deflector on top.
5) I haven't yet checked the spark plugs, and the air filter seems ok, but on my other bike I use iridium plugs and a K&N high-flow filter. Any ideas on this?
6) On some forums people mention seeing average fuel consumption on the readout - all I get is the distance left before running out, once I get into reserve.
7) The turn-signal cancellation button is not working, so the turn-signals simply timeout after 15 flashes. Ideas?
8) The BMW side luggage is well built and quite tough, but unfortunately it is rather low-capacity for long trips, at 32 litres each side; with the Givi E41 that I use on the V-Strom there is a total difference of nearly 20 litres, and is far more practical access-wise with the separate auxiliary hinged opening near the top. Has anyone been able to adapt a different kind of side pannier?

The only thing I have done for the moment is to install some cylinder protectors from Heed. Very impressive.

Sorry for such a long initial post, and thanks for bearing with me.

Leo

1679563922139 (1).jpg

R1200ST-20221215.jpg

Leo Comarre

Oh, just remembered something else. I have a Givi tank-lock bag I would like to use but suppliers say there is no anchoring system for this model.

What are the experiences of members here?

1 hour ago, Leo Comarre said:
1) Headlight adjustment
Low beam is too high, I am blinding oncoming traffic, but I have not yet found a way to adjust the twin H4 bulbs and reflector individually

Morning Leo

Nice looking motorcycle.

I will address the headlight issue.  You can't adjust each light individually, the adjustment is for the entire light assembly. 

There is a flip lever to do a quick vertical light throw adjustment when you add or remove a passenger or add weigh to the rear of motorcycle.  Just flip the lever & watch the light beam change height (see picture)

The nut or barrel in the center of that flip lever allows fine tuning of the vertical light throw. 

There is another adjuster to allow the light throw left/right adjustment (see picture) 

X4lWu4U.jpg

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Leo Comarre said:

5) I haven't yet checked the spark plugs, and the air filter seems ok, but on my other bike I use iridium plugs and a K&N high-flow filter. Any ideas on this?
6) On some forums people mention seeing average fuel consumption on the readout - all I get is the distance left before running out, once I get into reserve.
7) The turn-signal cancellation button is not working, so the turn-signals simply timeout after 15 flashes. Ideas?

Morning Leo

5) I haven't yet checked the spark plugs, and the air filter seems ok, but on my other bike I use iridium plugs and a K&N high-flow filter. Any ideas on this?--- You can't beat the factory air filter for best air filtration.  The K&N will work but those are messy to deal with & probably not quite as good as the OEM filter. The K&N is probably better if you plan on getting the filter wet.

On the spark plugs,  some do use iridium plugs but the factory plugs work just fine. 

6) On some forums people mention seeing average fuel consumption on the readout - all I get is the distance left before running out, once I get into reserve.--- This info should be in your riders manual. I'm not sure if your 2006 production year 1200RS allows averaging. (look in your riders manual). I'm not sure if all of the 1200RS came with that option. For your motorcycle to have fuel averaging it it needs to have the  (OE) optional equipment onboard computer.  

7) The turn-signal cancellation button is not working, so the turn-signals simply timeout after 15 flashes. Ideas?--- Yes, I have some ideas. First would be that your cancel switch itself is not working properly. Second would be you have a broken wire or open circuit between the cancel switch & the ZFE module.  You will either need to manually check the circuit & switch out with an ohmmeter or use a GS-911 to look at the cancel switch input. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, just remembered something else. I have a Givi tank-lock bag I would like to use but suppliers say there is no anchoring system for this model.

The parts cross reference in the microfiche shows that the ST uses the same filler cap as the RT, GS, and many others.  You should be able to install a mount for one of those models.  But I have no idea whether the tank shape, handlebars and switches might cause interference with a bag on the ST.

Apparently the multi-function display on the ST is unique to that model, and does not provide fuel mileage.  At least, there is no mention of it in the owners manual.

• Thanks 1

Larry is correct.  2007 models could be ordered with a trip meter that showed outside air temperature, average speed since reset, average fuel consumption since reset, range on fuel remaining, oil level (when stopped), and tire pressures (if TPMS was installed).  However, that option was not available on earlier STs.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, lkraus said:

The parts cross reference in the microfiche shows that the ST uses the same filler cap as the RT, GS, and many others.  You should be able to install a mount for one of those models.  But I have no idea whether the tank shape, handlebars and switches might cause interference with a bag on the ST.

Apparently the multi-function display on the ST is unique to that model, and does not provide fuel mileage.  At least, there is no mention of it in the owners manual.

Morning  Larry

There could be  (at least in my mid 2006 up riders manual) , look around page 49 or so in the mid 2006 up riders manual. Look for the optional Onboard Computer. 

The early 2006 (before mid 2006) doesn't show it. 

So it could depend on if the OP has an early or late 2006 ST & if it was ordered with the optional on-board computer.   (this is just based on the info I have on hand as I have never owned a 1200 ST)

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Larry

There actually is (at least in my 2006  riders manual) , look around page 49 or so. Look for the optional Onboard Computer. 

I downloaded manuals from the BMW site, https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/en/rider-manual.  Looking at the manual for "08/2005 onward" (beginning of the 2006 production), there is no mention of an onboard computer.  I do see the instructions for the computer in the "06/2006 onward" manual, but I think that would be primarily for  2007 models.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, lkraus said:

I downloaded manuals from the BMW site, https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/en/rider-manual.  Looking at the manual for "08/2005 onward" (beginning of the 2006 production), there is no mention of an onboard computer.  I do see the instructions for the computer in the "06/2006 onward" manual, but I think that would be primarily for  2007 models.

Morning Larry

That is sure possible but June is awful early in the year for model changover.  

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Leo Comarre said:

Leo - On the Givi bag, what model is it??  

I have a Givi bag, like it very much.  I've put a mount for it on several other bikes so it can be moved around.  The mount system is weird but works very well.  There is a black plastic mounting ring that the bag mounts on, then there is the flat steel ring that holds the mount ring to the bike.  BOTH are specific to your bike's tank, sold separately, and are almost impossible to find the correct part numbers for.  None of the usual distributors/shops knew anything about them.  I called Givi Customer Service (in NC) to get some help.  They were very understanding and helpful.  (704-679-4123).

Good Luck!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Leo Comarre
19 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Leo - On the Givi bag, what model is it??  

I have a Givi bag, like it very much.  I've put a mount for it on several other bikes so it can be moved around.  The mount system is weird but works very well.  There is a black plastic mounting ring that the bag mounts on, then there is the flat steel ring that holds the mount ring to the bike.  BOTH are specific to your bike's tank, sold separately, and are almost impossible to find the correct part numbers for.  None od the usual distributors/shops knew anything about them. I called Givi Customer Service (in NC) to get some help.  They were very understanding and helpful.  (704-679-4123).

Good Luck!!

The bag model is XS307. I'll try what you mention, and talk to Givi directly. Many thanks

Mine is very similar, XSTREAM 15LT.  No "touch screen" pocket on mine.  

I think I ordered the mount and ring directly from them while i was on the phone with them, it's been a couple of years.  Figured if anything was amiss they would cover it.  Everything was good.

Safe Travels!!

Leo Comarre
On 3/23/2023 at 12:13 PM, dirtrider said:

Morning Leo

Nice looking motorcycle.

I will address the headlight issue.  You can't adjust each light individually, the adjustment is for the entire light assembly. 

There is a flip lever to do a quick vertical light throw adjustment when you add or remove a passenger or add weigh to the rear of motorcycle.  Just flip the lever & watch the light beam change height (see picture)

The nut or barrel in the center of that flip lever allows fine tuning of the vertical light throw. 

There is another adjuster to allow the light throw left/right adjustment (see picture) 

X4lWu4U.jpg

Brief update; my flip lever does not appear to have the hexagonal bit for vertical adjustment, but yes, over on the other side there is definitely one for the horizontal adjustment. I assume that at some stage the adjustment was rotated with excessive force which disintegrated the plastic knob. I expect it can still be turned by grasping it in some other way, though I need to be sure if I am to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise.

Apart from that I have put in an order for an ABM handlebar with appropriate fitments and extended brake leads, as well as a higher screen.

r1200st_adjustment_knob.jpg

r1200ST_headlamp_adjustment_P30331-143135.jpg

P30331-150334.jpg

46 minutes ago, Leo Comarre said:

Brief update; my flip lever does not appear to have the hexagonal bit for vertical adjustment, but yes, over on the other side there is definitely one for the horizontal adjustment. I assume that at some stage the adjustment was rotated with excessive force which disintegrated the plastic knob. I expect it can still be turned by grasping it in some other way, though I need to be sure if I am to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise.

My ST had the same issue with the headlight vertical adjuster. Replacement parts are NLA. Looks like the PO found a work-around.

Clockwise will lower the beam.

• Thanks 1

Apart from that I have put in an order for an ABM handlebar with appropriate fitments and extended brake leads, as well as a higher screen.

Morning Leo

You should be able to find an external torx socket the will fit on that exposed splines tight enough to adjust it. 

Once you can move it & free it up (it looks pretty corroded so is probably difficult to turn) you might be able to then find a small knurled knob that uses a set screw to secure to those splines. (might have to drill the center hole out to fit over your adjuster splines).  

• Thanks 1