IGNORED

Wish us luck...

Twisties

It's 5 hours ride one way to the nearest BMW dealer, in Grand Junction.  We have a pair of R 1250 GS that each have a recall and service campaign on them (the drive shaft housing drain and the gear box input shaft).  Well, it's Colorado, and we wanted to wait for nice weather and ride them in.  It's a really nice ride, on CO-141 through Gateway.  I called to schedule, thinking maybe mid to late April.  Dealer says the gear box input shaft is no problem, half an hour each.  But, they've done 30 of the drive shaft housing drains and have had to replace a large number of drive shafts.  In two cases the drive shaft was stuck and couldn't be removed normally.  I didn't ask, but I'm guessing that means getting into the engine/tranny case.  Also, there are no drive shafts left in country and the next shipment is expected to reach the country April 19, but won't be to dealers until later.  Consequently, he recommended being prepared to have the bikes kept for an indefinite period of time. 

So, gone were our hopes of a fun ride and same day service for what we had thought were a couple of no-brainer quick fixes.  The dealer had plenty of service availability now, but said he would be full up in the near future as season gets going.  So, we opted to trailer up and get this started.... hoping for an earlier return to the road if either bike should need a drive shaft.  Not riding, we were less concerned with the weather, so the earlier date sounded fine.  Now, less concerned meaning I don't care about it being 70 F and sunny.   But, I wasn't expecting a major winter storm with all the passes closed this late in the season.  Never the less, here we sit, approaching record snow pack, with the passes closed and snow on the ground here in the valley. 

So, now we are scheduled for next Wednesday, and I have my fingers crossed for dry roads and no need for a drive shaft on either bike.  So far the ten-day forecast looks good.  Wish us luck.  

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, Twisties said:

It's 5 hours ride one way to the nearest BMW dealer, in Grand Junction.  We have a pair of R 1250 GS that each have a recall and service campaign on them (the drive shaft housing drain and the gear box input shaft).  Well, it's Colorado, and we wanted to wait for nice weather and ride them in.  It's a really nice ride, on CO-141 through Gateway.  I called to schedule, thinking maybe mid to late April.  Dealer says the gear box input shaft is no problem, half an hour each.  But, they've done 30 of the drive shaft housing drains and have had to replace a large number of drive shafts.  In two cases the drive shaft was stuck and couldn't be removed normally.  I didn't ask, but I'm guessing that means getting into the engine/tranny case.  Also, there are no drive shafts left in country and the next shipment is expected to reach the country April 19, but won't be to dealers until later.  Consequently, he recommended being prepared to have the bikes kept for an indefinite period of time. 

So, gone were our hopes of a fun ride and same day service for what we had thought were a couple of no-brainer quick fixes.  The dealer had plenty of service availability now, but said he would be full up in the near future as season gets going.  So, we opted to trailer up and get this started.... hoping for an earlier return to the road if either bike should need a drive shaft.  Not riding, we were less concerned with the weather, so the earlier date sounded fine.  Now, less concerned meaning I don't care about it being 70 F and sunny.   But, I wasn't expecting a major winter storm with all the passes closed this late in the season.  Never the less, here we sit, approaching record snow pack, with the passes closed and snow on the ground here in the valley. 

So, now we are scheduled for next Wednesday, and I have my fingers crossed for dry roads and no need for a drive shaft on either bike.  So far the ten-day forecast looks good.  Wish us luck.  

Well, that's why you're supposed to have a "backup bike".  Maybe an RT or ... ?  😏

Doesn't even have to be new.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, Scott9999 said:

Well, that's why you're supposed to have a "backup bike".  Maybe an RT or ... ?  😏

Doesn't even have to be new.

We have '07 RT's.  

• Like 1

Twisties....remember the 2014 new wethead shock debacle?  If under warranty they should loan you a bike or offer compensation like they did when they had the wide recall on 2014 shocks.  Maybe if the shaft is bad that is a warranty issue versus recall, but worth a shot.

They offered me a new K1600 until the bike was fixed, a heavy discount to buy a different bike, or $2500 cash for the wait to fix the shock.  I took the $2500.  My bike only had about 150 miles when we got the do not ride note.  At least get a new set of tires out of it...

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Twisties....remember the 2014 new wethead shock debacle?  If under warranty they should loan you a bike or offer compensation like they did when they had the wide recall on 2014 shocks.  Maybe if the shaft is bad that is a warranty issue versus recall, but worth a shot.

They offered me a new K1600 until the bike was fixed, a heavy discount to buy a different bike, or $2500 cash for the wait to fix the shock.  I took the $2500.  My bike only had about 150 miles when we got the do not ride note.  At least get a new set of tires out of it...

Yep, I remember that.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  So far, I'm still hoping to get both bikes on a same day basis.  But, we'll see.  

Good luck and good call on trailering.  My dealer said the software update recall for the input shaft seems to take different lengths of time depending on the bike.  He said its been random where one bike will take an hour and another bike will take 8 hrs.  So my dealer tells people dropping off their bikes that they can't give a time estimate on the software recall update.  When I had mine done it was a short time, maybe because the bike was only 1 year old and had a recent software version.

As for the drain hole / shaft inspection I didn't have to do that as my bike came from the factory with the rubber drain valve.  But from what I hear a lot of bikes are getting replacement parts for that one due to mileage and/or corrosion.

Well, the weather was great!  Warmest day of the year so far and 20 degrees warmer than two days ago.  Roads were dry and uneventful.  More storms coming through tomorrow afternoon, so we hit the sweet spot perfectly on the weather.  5 AM alarm, back home at 8:45 PM.  

Sadly, both bikes need replacement driveshafts.  Hard to believe as one of them only has 5k miles on it.  The service manager said they have to take the wheel and such off, spin them at 2k rpm with a drill, all while the vehicle electronics are connected to the mothership back in Germany.  He sent us home w/the bikes, saying feel free to ride them all we want while we wait for driveshafts.  Apparently the driveshafts will be in to BMW in Germany April 19, not in the US as I had previously understood.  Tentatively we are planning on going back at the end of April.  

Anyway, on one of the bikes when they put it back together the cruise control didn't work.  Never heard exactly what was found, but they caught on test ride and fixed it.  Just beware, I had no idea they are messing with those sensors and other stuff back there.  

A couple of cell phone snaps, gorgeous drive.

20230329_185011-Pano.jpg

20230328_190632.jpg

Edited by Twisties
Add photos
  • Like 4

Hmmmm..... drive shafts are in.  Service scheduled for next Tuesday.  Looks like 70's and dry...  riding weather.  Still a chance that a drive shaft would be stuck on, and we might not get them back, but I'm thinking it's not a huge chance and it wouldn't be both bikes...  so worst case is riding 2-up on the way home.

You sure? :spittake:

No, trying think of a contingency plan....  Safe thing is to trailer again, but I wanna ride, so....  I guess there is a bus.  

• Like 1
On 3/29/2023 at 10:27 PM, Twisties said:

..........Sadly, both bikes need replacement driveshafts.  Hard to believe as one of them only has 5k miles on it.  The service manager said they have to take the wheel and such off, spin them at 2k rpm with a drill, all while the vehicle electronics are connected to the mothership back in Germany.  He sent us home w/the bikes, saying feel free to ride them all we want while we wait for driveshafts.  Apparently the driveshafts will be in to BMW in Germany April 19, not in the US as I had previously understood.  Tentatively we are planning on going back at the end of April..............  

Hey Jan,

I'm coming late to this thread late and like you am wondering how a driveshaft on a bike with 5K miles needs to be replaced. A month ago I got the service recall for a SW upgrade for the input shaft. Regarding the drain hole, is the '22 model year also impacted?

IDK about '22's.  The low mileage bike is '21 from Oregon and was likely ridden in wet conditions, is all I can think.  Unless there is more to it than corrosion.  Anyway, call your dealer and have them check your VIN.

^^^^^ Thanks. I'm due for a service checkup anyway and will ask them when I bring it in.

21 hours ago, beemerboy said:

Regarding the drain hole, is the '22 model year also impacted?

Some were but at some point they started installing them during building.  I bought mine Feb of 22 and it already had the rubber drain valve installed so no recall or inspection for me.  Peek under the shaft and look for the black rubber duck bill valve.  If you don't have it then yea you're part of the recall.  Here's a pic of mine for reference.  It's the flat-head screwdriver tip looking part.

IMG_1736.jpg.4629588e55f516b286bcef82987ee21b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Thanks for sending the pic. My '22 GSA was a November 2021 build and it has the duckbill.

• Like 1

I got a little more info on what happens if the dealer is unable to remove the drive shaft normally.  There are two cases:  Stuck at final drive input or stuck at the transmission output. 

They've had several, off the top of the service manager's head about five, stuck at the final drive input.  For these BMW has developed a puller which has worked in all cases.  No big deal.

He's had two stuck at the transmission output shaft.  That's out of something like, off the top of his head, 40 or so of these procedures. For these the process begins with a consult with BMW, and then running through all of the things BMW wants them to do.  None of these have worked, but they take a lot of time, and this course is the only way the dealer can get reimbursed for the extra effort.  In both cases they have resorted to cutting the drive shaft off of the transmission output shaft with a dremel.  The drive shaft is hard, and it is an all day procedure.  All in all, if it is stuck at the transmission end, the bike will be held for several days or a week. 

We're debating riding up and taking our chances.  Both bikes to us normally is the most likely outcome.  It's a great ride, but we're not in riding shape, it's a long day, and we're stuck with dining in walking distance of the dealer.  If one bike is held we could ride home 2-up.  Sharon wouldn't be happy, but we'd get here.  If, against all odds, both bikes are held we'd take the bus the next day.

Next up, one drives truck and trailer up, one rides.  Switch for way back.  We'd be able to go somewhere for lunch and maybe get some bigger city shopping in.  

The weather report is looking ever so tempting, w/an overnight low 40 F to start out in, and highes in the upper 70's.  A gorgeous and fun ride on 141 through Gateway.  

• Like 1
roadscholar

I'd probably take both bikes on the trailer and allow an extra day to do the 141/46/191/128 loop with lunch in Moab but that's just me.. a truck pulling a trailer just isn't very compatible with a motorcycle.

Regardless of method I have a request/ulterior motive if there's time, would sure enjoy seeing some proper Jan photos of 141 with morning or afternoon light angling off the canyon walls, I don't think many riders stop to appreciate how spectacular that scenery is while ripping thru it on a motorcycle. 

Well, the dealer got us in at ten and out before noon.  We ran into @stubble! at the dealer.  Small world.  Trailered up.  I rode back down, Sharon drove the truck and trailer with her bike.  

• Like 2

Well I need to fill in the rest of that trip to the dealer.

Scene: me and my SO in Escalante UT, partway through a ride from California to COTA. Her F800GS is running badly, my Super Tenere’s headstock bearings are failing fast.

We ride up to Grand Junction BMW so they can look at the F800. Service manager says he has a couple of appointments but if one doesn’t show he can get us in. Ten minutes later a pickup pulls in towing two GSs. Damn theres one appointment. Then I do a double take - it’s Twisties and Bullett!  Crazy, crazy coincidence.

Other appointment doesn’t show, dealer takes the F800 in. So we have lunch with our surprise friends and catch up till the BMWs are all ready. As we’re gearing up, I check the Yamaha headstock and realize it is probably not safe at this point, which leads to identifying a Yamaha dealer in Farmington NM that can help me the next day. So Twisties and Bullett load my bike on their trailer, haul me (while Twisties and my SO ride their bikes) across CO to their house for a lovely dinner and a warm bed, then in the morning they spend another 1.5 hours hauling my bike to the dealer in NM. We spent a few hours checking out a local park together then they saw us on our way once the bike was done. 

So grateful for good friends and good fortune.

And we landed at COTA today! 

• Like 7