IGNORED

Basecamp and Nav V question

Skywagon

On my Nav V, it shows available storage of 432mb of the 7.02Gb available.  I've googled and Garmin'd my tail off looking for ways to freeup storage on the Nav V.  I haven't been able to find much.  I had already done the obvious things like eliminating languages, clearing routes and waypoints, deleting tmp files etc.  I don't think I am going to run out of native storage soon, but seems like really not much left.  I'm running Windows 11 pc.  What things can I eliminate on the Nav 5 to free up space; or is the 432mb somewhat normal?  I already have an 8Gb SD card that has map 2024.1 on it and in the unit.

Thanks...

Follow up question.  Basecamp map on pc was out of older version than the Nav V map wise.  I updated basecamp on the pc from the nav v.  Is that the way to do it?  I couldn't find in Garmin express a way to update basecamp on the PC by itself.

David,

it's easy to chose which location you want the map update in Garmin Express.  With your Nav V connected to Garmin Express open Map Detail, you'll then see the option you are looking for.  I no longer have a Nav V but I do have a Garmin XT after Map Option, Map Details opens I then need to select City Navigator North America, then the options are available. 

I wouldn't worry about removing anything else, I'd be sure to add an SD card, I'm only using an 8gig.  The location of the card is under the battery along a side wall.

Hope that helps! 

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

On my Nav V, it shows available storage of 432mb of the 7.02Gb available.  I've googled and Garmin'd my tail off looking for ways to freeup storage on the Nav V.  I haven't been able to find much.  I had already done the obvious things like eliminating languages, clearing routes and waypoints, deleting tmp files etc.  I don't think I am going to run out of native storage soon, but seems like really not much left.  I'm running Windows 11 pc.  What things can I eliminate on the Nav 5 to free up space; or is the 432mb somewhat normal?  I already have an 8Gb SD card that has map 2024.1 on it and in the unit.

Thanks...

Follow up question.  Basecamp map on pc was out of older version than the Nav V map wise.  I updated basecamp on the pc from the nav v.  Is that the way to do it?  I couldn't find in Garmin express a way to update basecamp on the PC by itself.

Afternoon David

Remove the map then see how much room you have left. 

On my older Garman GPS units  I install very little (map wise) on the actual GPS drive, I put most of the mapping on the SD card. I sometimes install my home state on the GPS drive then install the remainder on the SD card.

I use the old MapSource program to split & separately install  my mapping but some use Map Install for doing that. 

I usually don't install the entire country either, if I don't plan on going to the western states I split the map & don't install those states. If I do go out west I then install the western states.   

When I update my mapping, or install new maps, I ALWAYS install the new mapping ONLY to my computer drive (not directly to the GPS drive), that allows me to then pick & choose how much of the mapping that install where in my GPS.

Thanks DR....I understand what you said.  I've been doing it on my old bullet proof Zumo 550 for years....selecting areas, but I haven't figured it out yet on my Nav V.  I will keep at it.  The other thing that is puzzling is I have the latest map on my Nav V SD card 2024. something.  I'm behind a generation or so on Basecamp map.  When I connect the V to my PC and plan routes, it uses the latest map from the V and Basecamp seems to work fine.  When I disconnect the V from the PC, Basecamp refers back to an older map 2023.1.  When I look in Basecamp it only shows the older map of 2023.1 or global map while the Nav 5 shows 2024. something...It's on the bike right now so can't look.  I try to bring in 2024 on to the PC via Express or by using the install maps in basecamp and it won't let me pull in 2024....Weird.

The screen shots below are of Basecamp on my PC.  The one with only two choices is without the Nav V connected.  The second one with more choices is with the Nav V connected.  You can see the latest on the Nav V, but I can't figure out how to get it to the PC without the Nav V connected.

IMG_4274.JPG

IMG_4273.JPG

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks DR....I understand what you said.  I've been doing it on my old bullet proof Zumo 550 for years....selecting areas, but I haven't figured it out yet on my Nav V.  I will keep at it.  The other thing that is puzzling is I have the latest map on my Nav V SD card 2024. something.  I'm behind a generation or so on Basecamp map.  When I connect the V to my PC and plan routes, it uses the latest map from the V and Basecamp seems to work fine.  When I disconnect the V from the PC, Basecamp refers back to an older map 2023.1.  When I look in Basecamp it only shows the older map of 2023.1 or global map while the Nav 5 shows 2024. something...It's on the bike right now so can't look.  I try to bring in 2024 on to the PC via Express or by using the install maps in basecamp and it won't let me pull in 2024....Weird.

The screen shots below are of Basecamp on my PC.  The one with only two choices is without the Nav V connected.  The second one with more choices is with the Nav V connected.  You can see the latest on the Nav V, but I can't figure out how to get it to the PC without the Nav V connected.

Afternoon David

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here but BaseCamp has the option to use either the map in your Nav v or use the map (or maps) that are on your computer.  So with the nav v hooked up the 2014.1 is probably available in BaseCamp, with the nav v disconnected the only map that BaseCamp has available  is the 2023.1 that is on your computer.

Personally I use JaVaWa to turn off the GPS map's availability to BaseCamp as loading/using the map from the GPS slows BaseCamp down. 

Just hook your GPS back up to your computer, then open Garmin Express, then re-install the 2014.1 map directly to your computer (ONLY).     Do not reinstall to both the Computer & GPS, or only to the GPS.   

Well some of the stupid wore off and I figured it out.  I now have 2024.1 on the Nav V SD card and on my PC.  There was some error and wasn't just all me.  I removed the maps from my PC and reloaded...similar to what DR said above.  Now hopefully I won't get the message when downloading a route that says it had to be reconfigured because.....