IGNORED

98 RT1100 Overheating

Motorcycho

I have a 98 RT1100 that has recently began to "overheat" (in that the bars will max out on the temp gauge)

I know this has probably been discussed but any thoughts on why?

It's been happening even on not so hot weather (but stop and go city traffic)

Radiator seems clean and unplugged

In a related question... I did pick up a RT-P oil cooler fan and plan on putting it on with a manual switch. Wondering, should thae fan blow out or suck in?

Appreciate the help

19 minutes ago, Motorcycho said:

I have a 98 RT1100 that has recently began to "overheat" (in that the bars will max out on the temp gauge)

I know this has probably been discussed but any thoughts on why?

It's been happening even on not so hot weather (but stop and go city traffic)

Radiator seems clean and unplugged

In a related question... I did pick up a RT-P oil cooler fan and plan on putting it on with a manual switch. Wondering, should thae fan blow out or suck in?

Appreciate the help

Afternoon Motorcycho

The first thing that you need to do is determine IF the engine is actually overheating or if the gauge is just reading incorrectly?

The oil temperature sensor in located on the oil thermostat housing just to the rear of the alternator. 

If it is in fact actually overheating then possibly a failed oil thermostat, or the oil cooling oil pump intake screen is plugged, or the oil cooler is plugged (I know you say it isn't but sometimes it is difficult to tell), or something is restricting an oil cooler hose or oil line.

Is the engine running OK (not laboring) as a a poor performing engine can also raise operating temperature. 

The RT-P fan sucks  the air through the oil cooler then exhausts it out the rear.  (moves the air from front to rear). 

Even if you add an RT-P oil cooler fan & that helps cool it down somewhat that is just a cover-up as it should not be overheat without a cooling fan. The cooling fan is mainly for long periods of engine idling while powering police accessories.  

11 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Motorcycho

The first thing that you need to do is determine IF the engine is actually overheating or if the gauge is just reading incorrectly?

The oil temperature sensor in located on the oil thermostat housing just to the rear of the alternator. 

If it is in fact actually overheating then possibly a failed oil thermostat, or the oil cooling oil pump intake screen is plugged, or the oil cooler is plugged (I know you say it isn't sometimes difficult to tell), or something is restricting an oil cooler hose or line.

The RT-P fan sucks  the air through the oil cooler the exhausts it out the rear.  (moves the air from front to rear). 

I thought I read that the 98 didn't have the thermostat (deleted in 97?) But I will check

Pretty sure it is overheating in that I remember last summer a couple times hearing it in the motor.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Motorcycho said:

I thought I read that the 98 didn't have the thermostat (deleted in 97?) But I will check

Pretty sure it is overheating in that I remember last summer a couple times hearing it in the motor.

Thanks

Afternoon Motorcycho

You kind of have that backwards, the early 1100 (before late 1997) did not have an oil thermostat. The 1998 up 1100 had an oil thermostat. Depending on what info or parts manual you use and  "EXACTLY"  when the 1998 began start of production there could have been a few very/very early 1998 1100 bike that slipped out without oil thermostats (I haven't ever seen one though).