IGNORED

Did I mess up by mixing oil brands?

Bob_1978

My 2013 RT is about 2,500 miles and 7 months from the last oil change with Motul 15w-50.  Before going on a long ride this week, the level was near the bottom of the sight glass. 

Halfway through the ride, the low oil indicator came on. Upon checking, the level was just below the sight glass. I didn't want to risk running dry, so I went to an auto parts store. They didn't have Motul or any 15w-50 4T cycle oil.  The closest they had was automotive grade Mobile 15w-50, so topped off with half a quart of Mobile 1, and the oil is now 50% up the sight window. The store clerk said that since the bike has a dry clutch, it's not a huge deal to use automotive oil. 

Now I am reading that mixing brands is worse than mixing viscosities. Motul is esther based and M1 is not. 

I got home OK but should I do an early oil change? 

Don't want to throw money away but oil is cheaper than a new engine. 

In some cases mixing some oils can cause a gel to form , Mobil 1 says it should not be a problem but you shouldn't do it if you don't have to. 

If it was me I would change the oil and filter next chance you get, but i believe your engine is safe. 

and I usually carry a quart of whatever oil i am running in my spares kit just in case and 100% on longer trips. 

12 hours ago, Bob_1978 said:

My 2013 RT is about 2,500 miles and 7 months from the last oil change with Motul 15w-50.  Before going on a long ride this week, the level was near the bottom of the sight glass. 

Halfway through the ride, the low oil indicator came on. Upon checking, the level was just below the sight glass. I didn't want to risk running dry, so I went to an auto parts store. They didn't have Motul or any 15w-50 4T cycle oil.  The closest they had was automotive grade Mobile 15w-50, so topped off with half a quart of Mobile 1, and the oil is now 50% up the sight window. The store clerk said that since the bike has a dry clutch, it's not a huge deal to use automotive oil. 

Now I am reading that mixing brands is worse than mixing viscosities. Motul is esther based and M1 is not. 

I got home OK but should I do an early oil change? 

Don't want to throw money away but oil is cheaper than a new engine. 

Morning Bob

Well, the store clerk is definitely not the best person to advise you on oil compatibility.  

As a rule most modern oils are tested to get along with other similar motor oils. They can't test for all situations but there is typically good  general cross product testing & evaluation. 

The Mobil 1 seems to pretty well get along with about anything (at least from what I have observed over the years)  so that is good.

Personally I am not a big fan of mixing motor oil brands or bases if I can avoid it but sometimes it can't be helped. 

Just keep in mind that at some point your oil was mixed in the other direction as your motorcycle didn't come with Motul 15w-50 so at some point the production oil (or whatever oil was in it before the change to Motul 15w-50) was drained then the Motul 15w-50 was installed. On the BMW boxer engines there is fair amount of oil that remains after oil draining as the valve covers trap some oil as well as the 2 oil pumps & oil cooling system.   Not a great amount but it could be well over 1/4 quart.

Thank you all - my worst fears are alleviated.  I will probably do an early oil change just to be sure.  I would normally carry an extra quart with me, but the Motul 15w-50 comes in a four quart container and I didn't buy a spare!

Lesson learned.